1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Playing with my new toy! (9 pics)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by CircleOfConfusion, Jan 19, 2008.

1. CircleOfConfusion

CircleOfConfusion Well-Known Member

After getting very frustrated with the reach of my 70-200mm I finally took the plunge and got my self a canon 400mm f/5.6L. I've been after this lens for ages and its taken me some time to save up and decide (as I could've got a half decent DSLR for the same money). I got it last week but only been able to get out on a couple of my lunch breaks since then (can't wait for the daylight to last a bit longer!), so these aren't anything special just some obliging ducks and swans!
    (all the small pix are clickable)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hate sounding pretentious and talking about bokeh, but this lens certainly does a good job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not bad for landscapes either, although 1pm lighting isn't that interesting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a crop of the previous just to give some impression of how sharp some of these are.

[​IMG]
    This one's a bit soft and it was cropped a bit, but still not too bad

[​IMG]
    Not the best shot but I just love the water ripples and reflections

[​IMG]

These were all taken on Reala negative film (can't wait to try out some velvia with it!) and scanned using a Coolscan V. Apart from the landscape at f/11 all the rest were at f/5.6 except one or two at f/8 (but I can't work out which ones!)

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

nice pics :D
    as for the 1pm uninteresting light....given weather conditions round here at the middle of the day lately any light other than black night would be interesting :D

3. CircleOfConfusion

CircleOfConfusion Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, after two weeks of grab shots at lunch time I was looking forward to getting out and having some serious fun this weekend, not likely with this weather! :(