1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinhole photography

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Ron, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Is anyone else interested in this esoteric branch of photography?

2. tplawr

tplawr New Member

Hi,
    I have been interested in pinhole photography off and on for 2/3 years. I recently did a finals project where I produced a few cameras and play around with the medium and loved it. I found a lot of good stuff under the Yahoo search directory under pinhole photography, I can also suggest that you track down a book by Eric Renner called Pinhole Photography which is brilliant.

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Pinhole certainly is good fun and there are some great websites around. I found Eric Renner's book (Published by Focal Press ISBN 0-240-80231-4) to be inspirational. Despite his excellent book, I still have difficulty estimating appropriate exposures, and in dealing with reciprocity failure. I have had varying results with a camera that I made which takes 4x5 film, so I've stuck to B&W. Do your cameras use roll film? Have you tried colour?

4. tplawr

tplawr New Member

Hi, again. I've got three pinhole cameras currently, and two in the pipeline. The three I have made, are a 35mm camera, a field camera taking 120 film (which I have yet to use, due to weather down here at mo), and finally a box camera I've had from doing A'levels. I've used the 35mm camera most, but had my best results from my card box camera, which is easiest to get well exposed images on. I've not tried colour but I have seen some amazing results from other peoples experiments. I've had a lot of trobule with getting correct exposures on the 35mm camera but I have seen various sites with tips/ calculators on them, I'll post the addresses when I find them again.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

The 5x4 camera that I made has an aperture of f296 as the pinhole is 0.4053mm (0.0160in) and focal length 120mm (4.72in). Any references to sites with calculators or tips on exposures would be most welcome. Thanks. How do wind film in your card box camera? What field camera have you got?

6. zadl

zadl New Member

Hi there,
    I got interested in pinhole after seeing a photo on a web site somewhere...about a year ago I suppose. So far I have only experimented with cardboard boxes with b w paper in, then contact printing the result. It's so time consuming, taking one shot at a time and guessing the exposure, and I use the darkroom in my students union building so it's not as easy to access as having my own. Desite the hit and miss nature of it, and the fact that I haven't had any good shots yet, I have seen some beautiful pinhole shots so I will keep trying!

Hope you are enjoying it too!

Zoe

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

There are now 7 sites listed in the Photo Home Pages section which contain information about pinhole photography. Does anyone know of any others?

8. tamos

tamos Member

http://amateurphoto.about.com/hobbi...teurphoto&TopNode=2881&Action.x=15&Action.y=9
    is the results of my search on http://amateurphoto.about.com/hobbies/amateurphoto/ for 'pinhole'.
    Lots of info, some dead links. I haven't tried making a camera yet but hope to this weekend. I intend to modify a compact so I can use 35mm film to start with (more opportunity to bracket and try things out). I also fancy building cameras for different sizes of paper 6*4, 8*10. I once saw some pictures taken on huge sheets of paper, using a wheelie bin as the camera. More news when I get some results.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

There's info about a new Pinhole Photography Ring at www.findon.com/pinhole.htm

Thanks for the links. If you do a search on 'pinhole' using the search engine www.google.com you'll get around 72,300 hits. Not all of them will be relevant, but you'll find there's a lot of info about pinhole out there.

Good luck with your pinhole photography. It's terrific fun :)