1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pigeons

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brian, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe not that sporting, but what about a blunderbuss?

John Farrell and neilt3 like this.
  2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Re the flocking behaviour. The pigeons communicate well with each other and generally agree that they will all go off in different directions. However, when they take off the instinctively follow each other in close formation, its a case of doo as I doo.

Sincerest aplogies

Graeme

3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Pigeon's around here must be fat and lazy .
    I've seen one walk across a pedestrian crossing because it clearly couldn't be arsed flying over the road !

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Pigeons in town and cities are like rats with wings.
    Carefully reared one from country areas, like rabbits, can be quite tasty if cooked properly.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think you are mixing your pigeons. Town pigeons are not birds of the country side like the (bigger) wood pigeon. They descend from rock pigeons who are cliff living birds.

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Years ago Dave was in Mile End Hospital for over 3 months. The rooms were designed so you could go into the garden, which had been designed to attract local wildlife and many evenings after I had left, Dave would wheel himself out there for a few fags and he started feeding the local wildlife. Of course after a few days they associated him with peanuts, i once saw a pigeon so fat it would not have flown any attempt to take off the sheer weight of the body I suspect would cause the wings to sheer off

neilt3 likes this.
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there an owl in the news a month or two back like that? It had eaten so much, it couldn't fly.

…….edit
    Yep, back in January
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-51294545

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Which might explain why I've noticed the difference. But even if they were the same type of pigeon, the different diets of urban and rural pigeons would suggest that eating urban pigeons is very risky.

9. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I regularly have Wood Pigeons visit my garden,generally "hoovering up" dropped seed from feeders.
    That`s OK but they are from time to time,squabbling with each other,chasing each other on the ground
    and generally trampling plants and seedlings.Now that I do mind but I`m helpless to stop them.
    If I chase them off the smaller birds fly off too!
    I think there four or five in total but never more than one or two at a time.My cat`s been eyeing them
    but I do my best to discourage her.She`s in disgrace at the moment since bringing home a Coal Tit fledgling last week.
    Luckily it was unhurt due to my intervention.It soon flew away when held in my palm.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Good description. They'll eat anything they can find. Like squirrels they'll also watch what you do in terms of scaring them off, they'll just back a safe distance then return when they think that you are not looking. I've actually seen them on the feeders, not very gracefully as they are somewhat larger than the feeders themselves. We have a feeder stand, feeders hanging NSEW. One wood pigeon learned how to hook onto one feeder and eat off of the next one.

swanseadave and ascu75 like this.