1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

photoshop ...help

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by southonline, Aug 8, 2014.

1. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I've finally downloaded PS6 and using the trial version for now

I will be spending time next week checking out videos first from adobe TV, then Lynda.com as Tim Grey has posted some and I do enjoy his videos, but I was wondering if anyone else has any favorite videos for getting started with PS - I've ordered an idiots guide, but do find videos easier to follow

I will be using it with LR, hopefully assuming I get my head around working with layers plus all the other features it offers

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

For an elementary look at layers, try this one:

http://vimeo.com/4260127

My own wee bit of advice would be: Remember the "Opacity" slider when working with layers. It is often possible to get a more subtle effect by using a layer at 90% or 95% opacity. Also experiment freely with the blend modes.

Second tip: Also remember the opacity slider on the clone stamp tool. A very easy way of avoiding featureless white areas in clouds or in waterfalls is to clone some detail from a darker, detailed area with the tool at around 35%.

3. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

cheers I'll keep that in mind - its a good job I'm not working this month, its going to take me all month to get my head around this ....

4. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

There are a lot of good videos on Adobe TV http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/

I prefer book tutorials but I can`t deny that videos can be useful.Trouble is there are many out there of very low resolution/quality.

I managed to get Martin Evening`s CS4 book,minus DVD,for £2.99.You can pick up good books for very little on ebay.

Good luck for a very steep learning curve but very worthwhile.It`s a powerful tool.

Also check out earthboundlight.com for tutorials for photoshop and more general things.