1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop Elements v Affinity Photo for B&W 1920s album

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Fulvio2, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Fulvio2

Fulvio2 Member

I am editing a B&W 1920s album of First World War pictures of my grandfather, who was a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps.

The pictures are interesting: in cockpit; crashes; French allies; German prisoners etc.

I have scanned them in on a flat-bed scanner.

Is there likely to be any qualitative difference between the edits I do on Photoshop Elements 11 on Mac and Affinity Photo?

Frankly, I just doubt it. The amount of data in these prints that is very limited, sadly (I only have a few negatives.)

As I really know PE and I am just starting with Affinity Photos, maybe I would save myself some grief and just use PE.

My aim is to show them all to the Imperial War Museum and if they want the album they can have it.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Based purely on personal experience, I have found I do better work when using very familiar tools, so I would stick with PE for this project, and gain familiarity with Affinity Photo on a less critical project.

Just my take.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Agreed!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd think so too, unless Affinity has some unique feature that would make the task easier. I've never used either. I gave up on PE version 7, which came with a printer, as too difficult.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I can't answer your question, but I, and i'm sure many on here would love to see the photos, whether posted on here in exhibition lounge, or a link to a flikr page (unless of course you really don't want to make them public).

6. Fulvio2

Fulvio2 Member

7. dream_police

Great. Thanks for doing that. My grandfather was also a pilot in WW1 but alas all I have is a photo of him in his uniform.

William Parker likes this.
  8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

These are great, but please don't put any full resolution versions on the internet. They are too precious to be stolen.

10. Fulvio2

Fulvio2 Member

Are these images at risk of being stolen? There are many thousands that are better, surely?

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If they are of interest then interest they will attract! And many ignore copyright.

To view on a computer the image only needs to be small so the general guideline here is to post to a size of 800 pixels on the longest edge and a file size < 200 kb. That will look great on a browser but printed to useful quality is less than 3" on the longest edge.

It took someone thanking me for the use of one of my images in his travel brochure to make me realise that what is on the web is up for grabs and now I only put small images on Flickr which I use as a quick index to my digital photos.

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

WOW! Wonderful historic photos!

Not sure what the aeroplane in the "selfie" is (I suspect that whoever was in the front cockpit took it, even though it looks like a selfie), but the one in the next photo is, I think, an early model BE2. I've never seen one with a roundel on the fin like that so I would guess very early in the war.

The "flying bedstead" is a Bristol Boxkite - here's a video of a replica in flight:

The next aircraft is another BE2 - probably pre-war or early war as it is not camouflaged.

I have no idea about the destroyed aircraft - it is too smashed for me to recognise!

The Great War Forum and the Flypast forum would both be very, very interested in these photos and the former, in particular, could probably help with ID'ing far more than I can.

Thank you for sharing them with us!

Adrian

steveandthedogs and EightBitTony like this.
  13. dream_police

I have just arrived home from my trip and coincidentally there is a pile of papers that a friend has compiled of historical papers regarding my grandfather (she is into ancestry and military stuff) so I can have a look at that later.