1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop Elements 2021, have you got half a day?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by IvorETower, Dec 7, 2020.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I think the last version of PSE I bought was something like v9, so I treated myself in the BF Sales to the latest 2021 version on DVD (oh the abbreviation for Black Friday can be so appropriate sometimes, and inappropriate at other times).

Today is my last day off work before Christmas so I thought I would install it after breakfast..... it's just finished installing!
    The initial installation screen builds up your hopes with a message that it should take 2-4 minutes to install. This is misleading at best, a blatant lie at worst. My PS is about 4 years old, solid state HD for Windows 10 and programs, separate graphics card and 8GB of memory, and a "normal" HDD for data. Elements would not install to the HDD, I had to install it on the SSD. Even then, it took about 2 hours with the progress "bar" updating painfully slowly and sticking on 93% for about half an hour. Having finally installed, when I went to open my first RAW file, it said that Camera Raw needed updating, and another half hour-or-so was lost waiting for that to happen.

So, be warned, anyone thinking of buying this. Allow up to half a day to install it ! I've almost lost the will to live and certainly don't feel like editing any images for now.... and I do not intend to use it to catalogue my images - goodness knows how many days it would take to do that

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Adobe would not let me instal any photo editing software on anything other than my C drive - presumably a commercial protection issue for them but it did mean my 80 GB ssd'd desktop became useless until I took advantage of a clean Windows 10 instal to upgrade the SSD.
    How is your broadband speed? I am pretty sure Adobe sometimes only supply internet log in on their discs and the software is actually downloaded. I am weaning myself off Adobe dumping Lightroom for DXO photolab quite some time ago. I barely use Photoshop and must put in the effort to learn Affinity.
    REgards Willie?

3. IvorETower

My broadband speed is usually OK, "up to" 40 MB/s usually seems to be around 10, but as this is a stand-alone version I don't need an internet connection to edit.

What is curious is that having registered the program, I am getting an email every day from Adobe with a code (different every day) that I apparently "need" to access my online account. I wonder why?

4. WillieJ

Adobe appear to hate and distrust their customers which is one of the reasons (the other being a combination of subscription licencing and the forced bundling of Lightroom and photoshop) that I have pretty well given up on them.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Dunno. I got my mac back today having had the full HDD cloned onto a bigger SSD but no apps, no passwords - seems security is pretty robust and you can't just rip off someone's hard-disk by cloning. Once I got into my adobe account - it was easy enough to reinstall all the applications. Only missing On One photoraw so far. The purchase link no-longer goes to a download page. Every other bit of software I bought + licence has been available for download. I had relied a lot on the auto-generate password feature - it is a right nuisance when the computer forgets them all.

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

My 2009 disc of PSE 7 loaded very quickly (2-3 minutes) onto a new W10 PC I purchased last year. It has an SSD (C drive) for software and an HDD (D drive) for data. Any software installs on the SSD by default, and PSE7 starts and runs noticeably faster than it did on my previous (W7) PC that had a processor and memory of very similar specifications.

Can you get a refund and just install your older version instead?

7. WillieJ

Belated further thought. I think Adobe used to instruct that firewall etc should be switched off while installing photoshop etc. The last time I installed any photoshop application the pc got so far and then just hung until I switched off the internet security whereupon the installation whizzed along. Maybe that if Internet security is switched on Adobe will instal eventually but take ages to achieve specific steps.
    W

8. IvorETower

My installation was from a DVD, not a download, so there should not have been any reason for any firewall to significantly slow the install down - not that I can think of, anyway

9. WillieJ

I was installing from a dosc as well so worth trying if you ever have to do another instal.