1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography...Hobby or Obsession?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigWill, May 22, 2001.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Why do we have to have so much utter nonsense written about our hobby? At the end of the day we pursue our interest for amusement. The amusement in this case happens to be photography. Taking snaps, whether our snaps are good or not is not the point. Oh yes we can try and improve our craft. We can increase our knowledge but this is really for our own satisfaction. Striving to achieve perfection is all very well but life is too short. Anyway who is going to judge when that perfection has been achieved? Some pompous twit down at the camera club, well so be it, who am I to say your wrong. If you want to produce snaps to please Exhibition selectors great. But why should you take pictures to please somebody else? If you need the ego boost and doing this provided it, so what, it's your hobby. My God if we all stopped and asked, "What is this picture saying" Kodak would go broke over night.

This thing about equipment baffles me. It almost seems non 'U' to mention it. Why? If cameras looked like cornflake packets most of us would take up jam making. No , photographic bits and pieces are nice and depite what the " pressphotographer" says their ours, if we want to use them alright, but if we only want them because of the satisfaction of possession thats also fine. Its our hobby, we paid for it, we don't have to justify it to anyone.

The important thing is photography is our hobby, if one feels that they need an excuse for pursuing it, fine I don't say they are wrong. On the other hand if I want to interest myself in Leitz cable releases I don't want them to say I'm wrong. There is room in our hobby for all.

Brian.

2. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

And thats why they call you Bill Will.

Steve C Thompson

3. Jigs_w

Jigs_w Well-Known Member

You know what they say about men with big feet ........Did I mention I also wear size 12 shoes.

Jigs

4. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

You touting for business, Giles...? Methinks BW has the market covered in the footwear department....

5. Jigs_w

Jigs_w Well-Known Member

To finish my previous posting,.....They wear big shoes!!

Jigs

6. linnet9

linnet9 Well-Known Member

Since you are so clever..........
    When I was young, a man said of a friend "You know what they say about women that drive red cars......". I never did find out. Any chance of someone enlightening me? (I know about red hats and red shoes.............)

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

You know what they say about women who drive red cars......They always hang out with men who have size 12 feet! So what ya doin tonight babe? How bout we go for a spin in your bright red Ferrari! (assuming I can get my great big plates of meat shoehorned into that cramped little sports car!)
    Big(twinkle toes)Will