1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

photographing Lunar eclipse

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by markb, Jan 9, 2001.

1. markb

markb Active Member

Any tips for photographing tonight's (9/1/1) Lunar eclipse? What sort of exposure? filter? film?

2. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

A good steady tripod and a long (preferably fast) lens would be needed for starters. As for exposure, try taking a spot or partial ready from the moon itself. An average or centre-weighted reading would take into account too much dark sky. Bearing in mind that the moon would be eclipsed and the only light is light refracted through the earth's atmosphere, I would guess that the exposure might have to be several seconds - hence the tripod. Good luck!

David Stout

3. markb

markb Active Member

Im going to give a try! In both cases I'll use Kodak Ektapress PJ800 as it can be pushed two stops. The first will be with a Canon 500 with a 300mm lens, the second with a Rollei TLR with a 75mm 3.5 (obviously enlarging the result). I'll use the canon meter to take a reading and bracket like hell around that.

4. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

The moon looked good last night through a telescope though I didn't bother to hook up my camera. Hope you got some good results - maybe you'll let us know how you got on.

David

5. markb

markb Active Member

It was a bit of a wash-out. I could only get some 35mm fast colour film (fuji superia 800) which I pushed to 1600. The sky was pretty cloudy during the eclipse (though, of course, once it was all over the moon was bright & clear!). I took a few shots using a 300mm lens on a Canon, f5.6 and 30 sec exposure. As I can't process colour film myself I'll take it to a pro shop & see what comes out.