1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax Vision

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by SXH, Jul 19, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The lads over on the PU Forum are very happy about this.

Am I the only one who detects a hint of , not quite desperation, but something heading that way?

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Must have gone over my head, am I missing something ? Looks like a very long very boring advert to me

I would't click the link if you have s l o w internet :oops:

Pontoneer likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Yes, saw something about Pentax staying with dslr's.
    I suspect what they mean is "we can't afford to develop mirrorless".

Going to follow other makes down the pan?

S

4. Stephen Rundle

That is a real shame.

5. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I dont use Pentax but I have in the past, I like SLR with a prism. I am sure sure that my Nikon D90 which has a oent mirror is on the piss. I am now on D7500 and so far in leans just I I do.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Ricoh turned over $19 billion dollars for the financial year ending 2018. They could probably find the money if they saw a commercial advantage to it.

7. steveandthedogs

How much profit from the turnover?

And if they aren't selling many Pentaxes anyway, then why plough more money in.
    It would be a shame to see Pentax die as I have a soft spot for them, but they seem very quiet these days

S

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Perhaps the older Pentax DSLRs are so good (or do all that is required) that their owners have no need to buy a newer model.
    My K-5 should be good for a few years yet, and my 35 mm MX was in regular use for 27 years and only replaced with a DSLR when Kodachrome was no longer available.

When the K-1 was introduced, AP published an edited email of mine suggesting that Ricoh/Pentax had left it too late to compete with Canon and Nikon, and should instead be looking very closely at the (then recent) Sony full-frame mirrorless camera bodies.

9. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Snap with all three examples; my D90 drives me nuts but the D7500 solves all sorts of problems for the aged.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have used an ME Super and an MZ-M both of which were very usable but for me didn't quite have that spark. My mother has a Pentax DSLR which runs on AA batteries and produces a good image but again it seems to lack something, I can't say exactly what. However I have to agree that the linked page does bear a hint of desperation. Not that I disagree with the sentiment, there really is something about an optical viewfinder, but if Nikon and Canon feel the need to develop mirrorless cameras it is hard to see why Pentax don't. Developing a mirrorless camera is hardly giving up on the SLR, indeed a flourishing trade in mirrorless cameras may well be what Pentax needs to ensure the future of its SLRs.

There are many companies who refused to adopt the up coming technology and as a result either struggled to catch up or sank without trace. Olympus fumbled the AF ball but caught up eventually by going mirrorless before most of the rest of the field. Rollei missed the boat and now make accessories. I would hate to see Pentax go the same way.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. Stephen Rundle

From what I remember Pentax were always ahead of the pack, especially in weather sealing

12. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

What puzzles me is that there is a great deal of positivity about the ‘Pentax Vision’ on the US Pentax Forums site - especially in respect of the value of the user experience rather than “look how much tech we’ve crammed into the chassis”.......Canon? Nikon? I have to own up to being a film user (S1a and Program A) since I got my first ‘proper’ camera in 1960 but, if I was in the market for a digital camera I would certainly go for dslr and the philosophy displayed in the Pentax video would encourage me to remain loyal....... not that there’s a doubt. For those of us old enough to remember “Just hold a Pentax”.......just sayin’

Take care,
    Mike

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's odd, I could've sworn I have a couple of Pentax mirrorless digital cameras....

I have a number of Pentaces that I am very fond of. Problem is that apart from my little Qs, and a couple of Espio film contacts, they're pretty old. I still use my 67 a bit - and had planned to use it a lot more this year prior to COVID. Maybe next year.
    The LX is a lovely piece of kit. The MX remains one of my favourites. The K2 DMD is another nice bit of kit, as are my Spotties and S series cameras. But I never found a Pentax AF SLR I liked, and none of their DSLRs feel right in my hands. Good luck to them going forwards.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  14. steveandthedogs

After using the Fuji for a couple of years, I picked up the Kr again yesterday thinking I might give it a run out.

It felt heavy, too big and very uncomfortable to hold.

The Q occasionally gets used, but no more Pentax dslr's. They have lost their way.

S

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  15. Chester AP

When first introduced the K-5 was 'top of the range', and its build quality is excellent. A metal chassis and, as you say, weatherproofing. In the long term such features may be more important than the latest technology in a plastic body for a similar price.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree that, long term a metal chassis and weather sealing may be important, there is little long term about the camera market. The only reason I can afford to have two D4 bodies is that when they become obsolete the prices fall rather rapidly; there are D5 bodies available now at under 1/2 the new price. The D5 has had a good run, nearly four years, at the top of the range and it will be a few years before they become affordable in the used market but professionals aren't looking at long term they are looking at the period over which they can recover the cost and claim the tax back. Most of the used D5s have shutter counts over 200,000, which isn't a problem for an amateur who might add 10,000 a year, but it does indicate that at least some professionals aren't worried about what lasts but what does the job. Indeed, with Pentax having a reputation for weather sealing, one might expect that there would be plenty of professional photographers using Pentax for just that reason. That they aren't doing so further suggests that they have other priorities, or they employers do.

17. Chester AP

My K-5, like the three other camera bodies I have purchased since 1973, was an 'old model' being sold off because it was 'obsolete' or because its replacement (in this case the K-3) had been introduced. Since I got the K-5 the amount of stuff secondhand camera market has increased (perhaps due to reputable dealers having decent websites), so if it ever needs to be replaced I would look for later model secondhand. The K-5 does everything I need (and a lot that I don't), and I have some decent K-mount lenses collected over the years, so an 'upgrade' is unlikely.

I recall a few years AP had an interview with an HM Forces person who had been one of their photographers in (I think) Iraq. He explained about getting sand and dust off his Pentax bodies (with attached lenses) by holding them under a warm shower, and how they always worked perfectly afterwards. I never understood why somebody why Ricoh/Pentax didn't read this and realise what a terrific advertisement it could become. As you suggest, the photography division of Ricoh/Pentax is probably now a very small part of the business, and perhaps at risk because of this.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Unless it's a vanity project for someone high up the hierarchy?

19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Ricoh were the world leading copier brand outselling all others.
    Today copiers and Office document production printers are still their main focus.
    Pentax and cameras would seem to be a loss leader that they can no longer afford.
    That Pentax advertisement is pure puff and says nothing constructive at all.

20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Ricoh were the world leading copier brand outselling all others.
    Today copiers and Office document production printers are still their main focus.
    Pentax and cameras would seem to be a loss leader that they can no longer afford.
    That Pentax advertisement is pure puff and says nothing constructive at all.