1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax Super-A What lens Mount?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by ninjahippo, Mar 23, 2010.

1. ninjahippo

ninjahippo Member

I have just been given a Pentax Super A - from a friend and am interested in what lens mount fits with this camera. Tanks in advance for your help.

2. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

The source of all knowledge on Pentax cameras and lenses is to be found here, but to answer your question it will take Pentax K bayonet fit lenses, or earlier M42 screw thread types using an adapter. Fitted with an A type lens I believe that you will be able to control the aperture from the camera, while earlier types M, K will not offer that refinement but remain perfectly usable. i.e. you should be able to use virtually any Pentax lens.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Yes, any K mount lens will fit and work, with differeing degrees of automation in the exposure area. To make use of the camera fully KA lenses are needed. These are chipped and allow the use of shutter priority and programmed automatic exposure. Earlier K lenses allow manual and aperture priority automatic exposure only.

These are, in my opinion one of the better Pentax electronic cameras, they are essentially an improved ME Super, with a slightly larger and less fiddly body, also allowing you to see the set shutter speed in a display on the top plate. I would advise using siver oxide cells rather than alkaline, they last longer.

4. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

You can even use AF lenses on this camera, although only with manual focus.

Beware of using FAJ lenses (no aperture ring) and DA lenses (reduced image circle used on DSLRs) but other than that thousasnds of K mount lenses will happily fit.

5. ninjahippo

ninjahippo Member

Thanks for the help everyone

6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I've had a Super A from new 1989 and I have to say it really is a fantastic camera. If only DSLR's were as compact. The quality, the feel and those great lens line-up. I've managed to keep my Super A in close to mint condition and I'm still in love with her.

p.s. Get a pancake lens if you can find one.... amazing.

7. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Until this was posted, I had forgotten that I also owned one of these once.

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Pancake or Super-A :rolleyes:

Hello David,

:)

Jack

9. Monobod

Super A. I eat pancakes! :D

10. Done_rundleCams

And I know where you can get some fine Maple Syrup (for your pancakes)
    and a D-BG4 along with a DL-I90 ;)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

Harrods in Knightsbridge? :D :D

I managed to get a Kood 72mm to 58mm reduction ring from crookedimages.com for £5.99 including delivery. Now I can use my large Hoya Pro1 circular PL on my 28-105 f/4. Ordered it on Saturday and it came in the post this afternoon. :)

12. Done_rundleCams

OOC, what is your 28-105/4 lens??

Cheers,

Jack

13. Monobod

The Pentax power zoom with a 58mm filter ring. It came with the Z1-P.

Harrods do still have a photographic department, but they cannot/will not match the internet prices, so I went elsewhere for my G10.

14. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

D'uh...I had the same lens The only thing that confused me was the
    f/4. Speaking of, how times have changed, when I was last in Harrods I picked
    up a 64MB SD @ £40 for a mate who had a Samsung DigiCam and, speaking of
    £40, that was the amount I paid a Jacobs Photo for a AA charger (w/ 100-240V) and
    4 rechargables for the same mate who was taking his family on a trip to Disneyworld
    that fall :) Ah, how times (and prices, especially) have changed ;)

Cheers,

Jack

15. Monobod

Yes, sorry. It is f/4 to 5.6 of course. A superb lens, it now sits on my K-7 as the standard lens of choice, except when photographing birds, (feathered varieties)! :D

16. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

:rolleyes:

Jack