1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax Q

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Roy5051, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I had a brief handling of a Pentax Q with standard lens in Jessops Bath today and was horrified - it is SO small, seems even smaller than some compacts I have handled.

So I won't be buying one. So there!

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Very succinct Roy :). I have never been put off by the size of camera.
    [BHowever[/B], I was immediately put off by the size of the sensor, and
    as an avid user of Pentax, I let my negative feedback be known here, there (you
    know where I mean) as well as emails to some folks at Pentax (Canada) :eek:. And, I wasn't the only person, one of the Pentax Canada technical support people
    made his feelings known as well.

Then I saw it, and wasn't put off by the size of the camera and lens and, unlike
    yourself, wasn't put off by the ergonomics;). When I shot with it and reviewed
    the pics is when I did an about face and decided to buy one :D.

I've had it now for about three (3) weeks -- since Sept 16th -- and I am up around
    the 1600 shot mark with it and am very pleased .....aside from the fact that sometimes I forget to focus the FishEye lens :eek:.

Of course, had I known I was going to leave my backpack (w/laptop) on a bus ...
    .... I might have put off the purchase for a few months :roll eyes:.

Cheers,

Jack

3. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen one in the flesh/metal yet, but I do like the styling.

4. Done_rundleCams

Well Alex, we need you to find one so you can see it, feel it and break the stalemate we have here:D

Cheers,

Jack

5. Tim Coleman

Tim Coleman AP Deputy Technical Editor

I have run a full test of the camera this week, and truly it is a camera you MUST see in the flesh. A hold and brief play with camera is sure to put a smile on your face.

Pentax are certainly clear on what the camera is, sizing its body and sensor accordingly. All lenses will be significantly smaller than the APS-C and M4T lenses, and come with their advantages but, like the sensor, have more disadvantages. Whether or not it is the right camera for you will depend entirely on your use of the camera. One thing that cannot be taken from Pentax is, that this may well be the first compact system camera where the entire SYSTEM is compact.

Be sure to read the review in AP 29th October.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Have you tested the lenses as well?

7. Tim Coleman

I had it with the 47mm f/1.9 prime lens and also the three kit lenses (fish eye, wide and telephoto). The only lens missing was the zoom 27.5-83mm.

The (appropriately named) toy lenses are light as a feather (no proper glass), all manual focus, all with pretty soft results. They are all significantly cheaper than the noticeably sharper prime lens.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You say they are soft - is that soft as in all over or do they have that lovely Holga-esque sharp centre and then blur more towards the edges? Lots of questions I know, but I doubt these lenses will ever get a full 'serious' write up.

9. Done_rundleCams

Sounds intriguing Tim .... looking forward to reading it :)

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  10. Done_rundleCams

Hi Tim / Zou,

I can attest to the Wide and Telephoto but then they are of a fixed aperture and manual focus and cost (over here) $100 CDN :eek: The FE is more expensive (+50)
    but I found that focussing it did make a difference -- and, yep, it surprised me :eek:

We received the zoom lens last week and I had a chance to give it a go and it is more along the lines of the prime/standard lens in that you can use it all modes as
    it is AF with apertures and everything :cool:. Plus, it is (more) expensive -- nearly
    triple the Wide/Tele and half the FE. Also, the Viewfinder (only for the Prime) is/can be useful and some folks may (really) want it but for me, it's cost about 10-15% less than the Zoom lens, has dampened the necessity ............. at least for now ;).

I like the flash and will like it better once I figure out how to (better) use it with the FE in any (AV & M) mode :confused:

Will I be keeping mine -- yep -- will I be selling (more of) them -- yep.

Cheers,

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

Hi Zou,

For the "softness" above .... you can get it using the BC (Bokeh
    Control) in it's strongest setting :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

12. Tim Coleman

From my pics, they appear to be soft all over. The lenses manual focus only, and it may be possible to get sharper results but it is rather difficult to achieve correct focus given that the LCD screen is, in my opinion, poor. I have not used the viewfinder, which may or may not help.

Jack/ Zou - the bokeh control is not for the edges only, but claimed to be in line with the focal plane. this means any areas not in line with the point of focus have a blur applied to them. I found this a bit hit and miss, more miss unfortunately. The blur can often find its way onto the subject itself.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Had a play with one today and was mighty impressed. Fair bit of CA/purple fringing but so much fun to use (the prime kit anyway) and the best part? You take pictures from behind it and can't see how ugly it is. ;) Being serious though, the best part was that lens, it's a cracker even wide open (CA aside). So crisp and sharp.

Problem is it was £599 with the 8.5mm lens. For that money I'd want the wide and tele lenses in the box along with the standard. Fair play to Pentax though, it's a cracking effort and far better than I was expecting.

I can see why so many reviewers have commented on the F word - fun. That's exactly the right word for it, but I am concerned that the price/performance co-efficient isn't going to be enough for more than a few cultured individuals (such as our friend Jack) who can see that what really matters in photography is not pixel peeping.

For those pixel peepers though, here are three full size samples on my Flickr, all shot wide open at f1.9.

ISO 125
    [​IMG]

ISO 500
    [​IMG]

ISO 500
    [​IMG]

14. Done_rundleCams

Hi Tim,

I maybe missing something here but, whilst the Wide, Telephoto and Fisheye are
    Manual Focus, the Prime and Zoom are both AF w/ MF override and have aperture
    that can be played with / adjusted :) As for the viewfinder, I did not find it hampered my focussing capability :) I did, however, find my eyesight hampered
    my focussing ability:(. Regarding the BC, you are 100% Mr. Coleman, the BC can infringe on the subject when it, the BC, is at it's strongest :( but, if you
    want the Holga(esque) look .... look no further :roll eyes:.

Another point made my friend (whose FE pics I posted), is that when shooting with
    the Prime lens, he has found it is sharpest from f/1.9 through to f/4 but from the smaller/slower apertures (f/5.6 and onward) the results were not-so sharp. :(

Cheers,

Jack

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Jack, I think Tim was still referring to the toy lenses as manual focus only as in his previous pot.

As a fan of the Auto 110, I like the concept of this system; of course that camera used a film format the size of 4/3. It's no surprise that diffraction is clearly limiting resolution from f5.6 with such a small sensor; I guess that's the trade-off. The problem for me remains the eye-watering price.

16. Done_rundleCams

Hi Nick,

Obivously, you're not alone regarding the pricing ... but like
    all digital bodies there will be a price drop :) And, hopefully,
    sooner rather than later .... cuz I wanna flog 'em :D

Cheers

Jack

17. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Compact size. Compact sized sensor too, and £160 for toy lenses they are having a laugh! I think Pentax has really missed the mark with this camera.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Have you tried one?

19. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

No i haven't for £600 there way off the mark try half that £300. I'm not sure who its aimed at?

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm sure that folk were saying that when Leica first burst onto the scene with its miniature format. I'm not saying the Q is as groundbreaking but it is a very high quality camera in terms of build, design, ergonomics and it has by far and away the best ever sensor of its size. The price will drop in time.

And it is aimed at people who want to have fun with their camera, but don't want a big heavy lump to get in the way of their life. People with disposable income, of course. ;)