1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax Q pics

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

these are (jpegs) from the camera to my mac via preview to photobucket
    and the only changes are whatever stuff is done within Preview and Photobucket :)

Oh yeah, they were shot with the Prime lens :)

For the full-size uncropped pic: CLICK HERE

For the cropped (only) pic: CLICK HERE

Cheers and if anyone feels like having a fiddle with the pic .... have at it :)

Jack

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

What was the settings for the shot(s)?

They look quite clean.

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Exif data in the image says:

Camera Maker: PENTAX
    Camera Model: PENTAX Q
    Lens: PENTAX
    Image Date: 2011-10-29 00:47:50 (no TZ)
    Focal Length: 8.5mm (35mm equivalent: 47mm)
    Aperture: f/1.9
    Exposure Time: 0.067 s (1/15)
    ISO equiv: 400

Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Spot
    Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
    White Balance: Manual
    Flash Fired: No
    Orientation: Normal
    Color Space: sRGB
    GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
    Software: PENTAX Q Ver 1.00

Still haven't managed to get my hands on one. A big optics show in town on Thursday, so unless Pentax have gone nuts and don't attend i'll finally manage to have a play with one :) (The last four years i've attended they have been most apologetic for not having anything new and amazing to show me. I don't belive the K5 was out last time the show was here, the Optio 1000RS was nice but gimmicky really, and i doubt they'll ever have a 645D doing the rounds for us mere mortals to play with. They finally have some stuff worth crowding the stand for which is a fantastic sign for the future of the company :))

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

That looks really good. I will have a play if I may, thanks.
    It reminds me of that old ciggy adveert 'Your never alone with a Strand'. Does anyone else go back that far? ;)

5. P_Stoddart

Silly me, should have checked the data. :eek:

I think we are see the limitation of the small sensor of the Q here.

I am assuming it was shot JPEG. If so I wonder if a raw shot re-processed would be abit cleaner.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Very nice Jack:) I prefer it uncropped though:eek:

Any chance of a nice sunny day pic at base ISO? (would like to think a prime lens should wipe the floor with the likes of my crummy old Casio (sample pic)....and the f/1.9 bit certainly appeals too)

7. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Regrettably, yes, I do !

8. Done_rundleCams

Thanks David :) and I never smoked so I'm unfamiliar with the advert but,
    after looking at again, if there was a cafe on the right side it might almost
    kind of look vaguely similar to that James Dean shot ..... almost :roll eyes:

Cheers,

Jack

9. Done_rundleCams

Hi A_V,

Hopefully they have (had) it at the optic show as, John Riley mentioned, they
    now have a £100 cash back available :cool: As well, they have a firmware update
    available for the body as well as the Prime and Zoom lenses :) I just did the update for the body and the Prime lens but haven't shot anything with it to check the difference in pics which I am thinking will be like night and day :D ..... not :roll eyes:

Cheers,

jack

10. Done_rundleCams

hi P_S,

Jpegs indeed :) The other shots (by my mate with the FE) were shot in RAW and
    had done whatever it is they do when they process them :confused:

Cheers,

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately, we, possibly like yourself, are in the beginning of our "ooh, ooh what's that big orange thing in the sky" time frame :eek: ... but I shall do my best to try dig one up :)

EDIT: Cracking pic ... I think any camera would be hard pressed to improve on it :)

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

No hurry Jack. Just got a new compact earlier this year so am hoping not to be needing another one in the immediate future anyway. I do quite like the idea of a Q though.

Know what you mean about the weather....was kinda wet and foggy here today but I went out anyway and had a little play with the video on my wee Sony....O Huck :eek: Am thinking I might try to do a longer video using the helmet cam and cutting in clips from compacts dotted about the side of the trail.....or something like that:confused:

Quality wise a DSLR and a nice 50mm can give much sharper and more detailed shots than I can get out of my compacts with zooms....for bike pics the DSLR can resolve details on stickers on the helmets, eyes stand out more, clothing textures, scuffs on the bike......all sorts of stuff that doesn't matter as much as enjoying the ride without being weighed down by a big camera;)

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

They weren't there... been there every year i've been going since 2007 and when i actually want to check something out, they aren't there. Frustrating isn't the word. I'm beginning to doubt they actually exist, that Pentax folded when Jessops unceremoniously dropped them at the beginning of 2009 and the Q is just some daft pan-media joke at my expense.

There is only one face that describes this turn of events:

>:[

14. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Well, Jack, I'd be very interested to see more as I really, really like the look of the Q as a 'stealth' camera for street work - much more so than, gulp, the Nikon 1.....

...sorry Nikon........:eek:

15. P_Stoddart

Actually you said they were JPEG at the top :eek: Again silly me.

The reason I said about raw is my camera is a small sensor camera at 2/3" and I know JPEGs out of it are hurt by the built-in NR.
    With raw of cause you can massage the NR so that it just lifts the image enough without killing the detail to much. Noiseware really good at this.

I like to see some example of this boken system they have. Like a shot off and on. This is major flaw with small sensor camera that you cannot get nice DOF effect when you what it. How does it compare to say a FF dSLR?

I have done DOF effect on occasions post production to help structure a image.

16. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The Q has its place for various things, but I'm not sure I would be looking at such a camera to have limited DOF effects. Rather the opposite - take advantage of its ability to render almost everything in focus, in a way that's very hard to achieve with an APS-C DSLR.

17. Done_rundleCams

Hi Al,

One thing to consider is the dosh factor:

Nikon 1 V1 w/ 3x Zoom (10-30) ... CLICK HERE

Nikon 1 V1 w/ 10 Pancake .... CLICK HERE

Pentax Q w/ Prime .... CLICK HERE + ViewFinder ..... CLICK HERE (A more realistic
    comparison:eek:)

Pentax Q w/ Prime and 3x Zoom .... CLICK HERE + Viewfinder .... CLICK HERE

Plus, apparantly, the V1 has the same processor as the Nikon D3s, albeit a smaller
    sensor ;). One fellow came in this afternoon and, after having a fiddle with the
    V1 and (an unknown) lens, claimed it weighed as much as his (Canon) 7D and (the original) Tamron 18-270 :eek:. I'm not sure about that claim .... CLICK HERE for the
    weight comparison.

Whoooops ... gotta go ... silly customers ;)

Cheers,

Jack