1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax Q, any signs of a new one on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by steveandthedogs, Jul 29, 2012.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Well, I've just beaten my hand into submission and it's forked out enough to get one! Arrived yesterday, good, aren't they? Thank you, Mr SRS

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Crafty. I was looking under CSC ... :confused::rolleyes:. SRS were implying on their site that the only non-toy lens was the 20mm for which they were taking advance deposits.

I am getting an impression that stock availability of all Japanese camera types around UK dealers is very patchy and thin in places. Is this the result of Fukushima and the flooding working its way out through the 'system' from last year?

3. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I've had no difficulty getting the fish-eye lens from SRS. Amazon is another good place to look, but be careful of the prices, which range from exciting to ludicrous.

4. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

What's the point of the toy lenses? I'm guessing they add vignetting, corner softness, aberrations, etc.. for that "cheap compact in the 80s" kind of look, but couldn't this just be done with software (similar to Olympus's art filters)?

5. johnriley1uk

I have heard that the toy lenses don't actually do what you're describing, so it may be that the description isn't what we think it is. In any event, it's not been put forward very well by Pentax, sometimes not even the sales people understanding properly what they are selling.

6. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

According to the manufacturer:

"With their optics designed specifically to retain various lens aberrations,these lenses produce subdued, heartwarming images like photos taken with a toy camera."

Doing this with software would mean that you could do this with any lens, whereas doing it optically means that you can only do "gimmicked" images with it, unless you change lens.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. johnriley1uk

I can't give much detail, but one user reported that he was astonished that the wide angle lens was absolutely stunning close up and that was something he was going to explore.

Probably a USA forum might get more detail for you, sorry it's a bit vague from me but I haven't been able to persuade my friend to sell me the lens!

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Funny boy :D ... well, if I were to get an adapter
    and pop on my Photosniper (300/4.5) I would get the
    equivalent of a 1500 or 1600/4.5 lens which would be
    ok for moon shots ;). As for Mars, my level of curiousity
    there is nil :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

9. Done_rundleCams

Congrats Steve :) Let us know whatcha think of it?

Cheers,

Jack

10. Done_rundleCams

Hi S_D,

I was just having a fiddle with my Q and, ironically, in the digital filters there
    is a setting for a 'toy camera' :confused:

Cheers,

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

Hi John,

I haven't played with the wide-angle lens but had a wee play with the tele lens and
    whilst it ain't as sharp as the prime lens ... for a f/5.6 only lens it's nae too bad :)

Cheers,

Jack

12. 0lybacker

Come Monday, all being well, there should be a Rover car trundling around on Mars. :)

Not many normal owners got that kind of mileage from them though ... :eek:

Try beating that with a Chevy, NASA! ;):D

Greets,
    Oly

13. 0lybacker

Jack,
    Just a thought - something you might be able to answer from your trade knowledge - the shortage of CSC lenses from most manufacturers. There seem to be some other equipment shortages (eg. SLR lenses), rather patchily around the UK, as well.

Is this due in part to the woes of last year for Japan on the mainland (earthquake/tsunami/reactor failure and shutdowns) and in s-east Asia (floods) disrupting development, prototype production and manufacture?

Cheers,
    Oly

14. steveandthedogs

Aren't they good?:cool::cool: It weighs nowt, fits in my pocket [now they're empty], and seems to take cracking shots, although it's a bit fiddly working through the menus. But then I'm not used to that sort of thing. The Kr is feeling very neglected.:(

Steve

15. Done_rundleCams

Hi Steve,

Yowza ....we could be twins from different continents (and ages ) .. as my K-r
    is feeling neglected as well :eek:. Once you're used to the menu, it's pretty
    easy and the other thing I like is the "info button" brings up the same
    info, ironically:rolleyes:, as the K-r.

OOC, you didn't start out with an IST*Ds and move up to a couple of
    K200D's did you? ;)
    Cheers,

Jack

16. Done_rundleCams

Hi Oly,

Yep, I've noticed a number of items being a tad show on the order list. From Nikon,
    the 16-85 is (still) on a notoriously heavy backorder and the AF-S 50/1.8 are still quite slow to get in and, for a while, the D7000's. From, Canon, for a while the EFS 50/1.8 availability lessened for a while along with the SX40's but that was a more recent phenomenon.

I know one of our customers was an insurance agent who went to Thailand, specifically, to work on the flood damage and he came back with some horror
    stories from the Nikon plant in Thailand.

Other than those items, I really can't recall too many other items being hard to get ... bear in mind, that we're only a small store and don't order as many items as the bigger stores.

Cheers,

Jack

17. steveandthedogs

Howdo, Jack,

Started with a MZ50 some time ago [after a Praktica and a Kodak vest pocket], then Canon G3, an istD, Kr and this!

18. Done_rundleCams

More similarities Steve :eek:, I started out w/ a
    Kodak 110, then a K1000, MX/ME Super's w/
    winders, then PZ-1's ... then a Canon G2, IST*D's,
    K200's, K-r and Da Q and a W60 hiding somewhere
    ;D

Jack

19. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I started off with an MX.
    Q double lens kit reduced to £308 at Tesco Direct; should I ?????

20. steveandthedogs

£308? That's £90 cheaper than SRS, the cheapest I found.

Stop messing about and order it!