1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax Q, any signs of a new one on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by steveandthedogs, Jul 29, 2012.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I'm considering getting a Q, but with Photokina coming up, I'm wondering if there are any rumours of a Qii around? Not that I could afford a new version...

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's the current Q, from a post last year!

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Er, no. that was last year's post. Dated 02/06/2011! :p

There are some rumours it might be discontinued. The product was probably designed under the Hoya owners.

I think Ricoh want to build the brand up to where it was in the past.

With Canon now in the CSC market. They might be considering a APS CSC.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You can hardly blame Alex for being behind the times - that's 13 minutes after I pointed out it was last year's news, and then you go and suggest a camera that was reviewed here in May... ;)

6. Alex1994

Oops! I'd like to say it was deliberate to see who's paying attention, but it wasn't.

I was concerned that nobody had answered the OP, so I did a quick search on photorumors. I didn't check the date as it mentioned August and Photokina!

Apologies for the confusion, at least it kicked the thread into life! :rolleyes:

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I'm not going to laugh, someone else did exactly the same thing, didn't we, 'Dogs? I do wish sites would delete out-of-date stuff.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to buy one of the present ones, if I can just force my hand to release my cash... let go you little swine...give...

8. Alex1994

I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Of course, as soon as you buy one they'll probably announce a new model. ;)

9. P_Stoddart

Yep, my mistake. I meant they might be considering a new APS CSC designed by the Ricoh team not the previous owners.

After all the K-01 is abit bulky for a CSC and it does not even have a EVF.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#285,351

I presum you agree the Q was a Hoya/Pentax idea.

PS: Your just faster on the keyboard than me. :D

10. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I would suspect the Q was very much a Pentax idea and pre-Hoya. members of Pentax forums have been asking for a digital Auto 110 for years and the message was probably taken on board. The idea was tried out first with the I-10, was successful, so an interchangeable lens model duly appeared.

There was quite a reactionary response to this from many, but in fact the Q performs very well and has all the delight of the original Auto 110 but much better image quality. My entire kit of camera plus three lenses, in its Q bag, weighs less than 500g. Brilliant for travelling to places where bulk is not desireable. The lenses also don't exceed 30cm, for any Olympics fans!;)

The K-01 also had quite a reactionary response from many, but in fact is unique in that the standard DSLR range lenses can be used, fully functional, without an adapter. Again, this is what everyone had been asking for, for a long time. The new Canon EOS-M needs an adapter and once a lens is fitted is no less bulky.

I'm not sure that we used to get as excited about these things before the internet.

11. P_Stoddart

Probably because as well the market was quite dominated by 35mm film SLR cameras.

As electronics came in the pace of change really took off. Then with digital sensor that really has pushed the speed up.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The K-01 strikes me as utterly pointless. The Q, however, is a camera that interests me a great deal - it's the only CSC that is truly compact as a system.

13. johnriley1uk

Most CSCs don't make any sense to me either, too bulky for a pocket, too inconvenient without a DSLR viewfinder.

However, there are applications. One is studio work, where a K-01 could be very advantageous for small product shots. I have even used the Q for this, or the X90 bridge camera, and find composing on the screen very useful. If this is what I did all day I would use the K-01 for it.

Another consideration is that we have a whole new generation of photographers who are used to and prefer working with a screen. I have seen people struggling to see through a conventional viewfinder - they really don't know how to use it, and rarely adjust the dioptre setting correctly in any event.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fair points, John.

15. P_Stoddart

Then does not the Nikon J1 also reach that goal?

http://camerasize.com/compare/#190,124

Yes, the Pentax Q seems to have quite surprising good performance.

But I wonder if it fits in with the new master's (Ricoh) game plan for Pentax?

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Note the key phrase as a system - the Nikon's standard zoom is about 10mm longer than the Q's.

I would've thought it a perfect fit, actually - it strikes me as a product that fits the heritage of both brands rather well.

17. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Nick,

I wish the Q had a 10x zoom. As it is, I picked
    up the 3x zoom and am very impressed with
    it. :). If they brought out a 10x zoom I would be
    over the moon. :D

jack

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Nah!

You'll need a 100x zoom to get over the moon.

It's a long way to Mars! ;)

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

More seriously, Pentax appear to offer really good value for money although the user rating on the Park Cameras web-site for Q was none too blistering. Can't figure out why the (non-toy) lens system is not listed: is it because they are not yet available? Park don't even list the toy lenses.

20. johnriley1uk

Park listed the lenses last time I looked, but generally, under Pentax DSLR lenses.