1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

PENTAX PRODUCT RECALL NOTICE:

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by FujiSigmaNolta, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Yes, consideration should be given to the current being drawn. While there may be no problems 'fudging' a plug with (very) low consumption appliances, higher power devices are somewhat different. For example, there is a possibility that, due to the small area of contact between a round (European) plug and a square (MK-style) socket, arcing may occur, causing the plug to overheat. Together with the lack of an in-line 'fast blow' fuse, etc, this could be a fire risk.

Personally, when working with electricity at mains voltages (and always at higher voltages & power levels) I prefer to do things properly. But as implied, when abroad (especially eastern Europe) there are many situations where sockets appear to be of diabolic design, intended purely to confuse and perplex visitors. .T.

2. Dal1970

Dal1970 Active Member

I may only have limited mains knowledge, but all my mains fuses in fuse box are

Lighting - 5A
    Sockets - 15A
    Cooker - 30A
    Shower - 30A

Using a 30A for sockets could cause immense problems, as it will not blow quick enough.

Dal

3. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Where, (or on what) do you live??

15 amps is unusual for power circuits unless only one socket is fitted to each circuit. 30 amps is the standard for ring mains in the UK (or 32 amps when MCBs are fitted as they are more sensitive than wired fuses). Each ring circuit can serve an unlimited number of sockets in a floor area of up to 100 M2. Radial curcuits are usually rated at 20 amps, and can serve up to 50 M2.

Some older shower circuits are 30 amps, but most newer showers require 45 amps (with 10 mm2 cable).

4. Ian_E

Ian_E Well-Known Member

I received two letters from pentax advising me of the problem with the 3-pin plugs. Luckily my plug was not one of those in question.

5. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

What you actually need is something like this. Converts "continental" 2-pin plug to UK 13A plug, and has a built-in fuse to address the issue of using a non-fused adaptor on a 30A ring main.

John Allen