1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax optio s45 won't switch on.

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by ethascar, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ethascar

ethascar New Member

Hello Everyone.

I am new here and i have a little problem with my camera and was wondering if anyone could help please.

I have a pentax optio s45, everything has been fine with the camera although i had not used it for a long time before i starting using it again (about 4 weeks now).

The proplem i have is that it has suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason.I have been using this today and when i have just gone to use it it does not turn on, the lens does not extract like it should it just turns on then off again.

I have the camera set up of the mains no batteries so i can not understand why it will not work suddenly?

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be and what i can do to fix the problem?

Thank you everyone for looking and any help is very much appreciated.
    Regards
    Nic

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Nic,

If I read your post right; you're trying to turn the camera
    <u>without</u> batteries(?), if so, this is why the camera
    won't turn on ......... unless, you are using the AC Adapter :)

Also, if you're using regular (fresh) AA Akaline batteries, these
    should let you (at least) turn the camera. However, if they are
    old AA batteries that maybe why the camera won't turn. My recommend-
    ation would be pick up a set of Energiser AA Lithiums which are the
    best (non-rechargeable) AA battery :)

Cheers,

Jack

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hello Jack and Nic,

I doubt if this is a battery issue, as Nic is using it on the mains power. It seems as if it is turning on momentarily, then off again.

This does seem to be a faulty camera. I'm not sure how old it is, but nothing lasts for ever sadly. If it is still under warrantee, I would suggest getting it mended for free. If it is out of warrantee, see Asahiphoto on:

http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/

They are reliable repairers of Pentax gear.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Is the mains adapter faulty? Do you have access to a voltmeter that you can use to check the output voltage?

5. ethascar

ethascar New Member

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Sorry for the delay in thanking those who replied to my problem been away for the weekend.

Jack i was using the camera via the mains,ivorytower i have checked the mains adaptor and that is fine as well, thank you both for your help anyway it was much appreciated.
    David thank you for the great reply.
    The thing is with this camera, i bought this about 4/5 years ago and i only ever used it when i first bought it for my holiday, after that i only started re using it again about 4 weeks ago which is the crazy thing about it, as i said i was using it one minute and everything was fine, the next nothing it would just switch on then off again.
    Is it expensive to get this repaired?(obviously depends whats wrong with it, does it sound anything major to any of you)?
    Also is it worth getting repaired nowadays with the price of cameras as they are?

Kind Regards
    Nic

6. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

You can get the Pentax I-10 from Amazon for £79.99 which is a great little compact. Probably best to replace rather than repair.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Nic,

I have to agree with John, in that repairing will, undoubtedly, me as expensive (if not more)
    than purchasing a new camera :eek: .... :) However, personally speaking, I like (and
    would recommend) the RZ10 (black, of course :cool:) simply because it has a nice zoom range
    (28-280) and as a customer mentioned yesterday (Sat Feb 12); "it has a really nice feel to it
    and it feels good in the hand :), albeit at a (slightly?) higher cost then the I-10 :)

CLICK HERE to see the RZ10 (from Warehouse Express)

Cheers and have fun shooting ... regardless of the chosen camera :D

Jack

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

With labour rates at £50 per hour upwards and the cost of spare parts, most compact cameras are best replaced when they go wrong as it's just not financially sensible to get them repaired. Such are the cost benefits of mass production