1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax k30

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by jbhhall, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jbhhall

jbhhall Well-Known Member

I asked my friend today how he's daughter is doing with her xmas present. He said the pentax came with two kit lenses, the standard lens is ok he says but when she came to put other lens on it would not work. From what he found out he had to go into menu and do some alterations for this lens to work. He told me she don't want to alter the camera settings in case it up sets settings for the other lens. Both lenses are pentax that came with camera,Is there any quick way to get both lenses to work, or is there something wrong with lens connections. I don't use pentax now the only pentax I have Is me super and an mv. I am not up to date with latest pentax. I have told him when his daughter visits him next I will have a look at instruction book.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

What's it not doing?

They should work without any messing with menus.

3. jbhhall

Im not sure according to him the one lens works ok, but when he puts other lens on it comes on camera aperture not set, or if in shutter mode ,says no shutter speed. I have told him to ask his daughter to bring it down to his house when she visits him next and I will have a look to see if she has got something set up wrong.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Hi there, I'm newly back to Pentax myself and I can't be sure, but it sounds like the camera may not be communicating with the lens. I presume the settings which are being changed are the ones which allow lenses without electronics to be used?

Non communication can be caused by many things, electronic faults in the lens all the way through to the contacts between the lens and the body simply being dirty...

5. jbhhall

When he comes back from work tonight I will see if he's got instruction book handy.I wont see the person who had camera for xmas as she is at collage, but I think when I saw lens at xmas they were both with camera on special offer. I think they were both up to date lenses thanks.

6. jbhhall

Just had a text message all sorted , it only came with one lens the other one is a second hand one of his friend and it hasn't got the electric contacts. Thanks for help I will have to have a look at camera next time she is down and sort it out .

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That sounds like a manual focus PK fitting lens, it will never autofocus and has compatability limitations.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

^^^
    WHS

Most if not all Pentax DSLR's can be used with older K-mount manual focus lenses. There's an option in the menu system, as your freind found, to set up the camera to work with non-AF lenses - I think basically it lets the camera release the shutter even if no lens is detected and it may also set up the metering system to work in stopped down mode. Once set I don't think it needs to be unset if using an AF lens either.

9. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I think there are two menu options which may appear when using old manual focus lenses on the K30. One is automatically shown at switch on, and asks you to select the focal length. This is for calibration of the anti shake stabilisation system. For a zoom lens, enter the FL you're most likely to use, or around 2/3rds the way along the zoom range.

The other option is "Use manual aperture ring", and allows you to set the aperture from an old manual lens that doesn't have electrical contacts for the camera body to control the aperture. It allows you to use Manual exposure mode, or Aperture priority with stop down metering, invoked by pressing the green button. Enabling this option will have no effect when a modern electrically controlled lens is fitted, so you can just leave it set all the time (I do! :) )

10. jbhhall

Thank you all for input,have to wait till I can have a look at lens and camera.

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

... but the focus confirmation indication will still work.