1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax k30

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by jbhhall, Dec 7, 2013.

1. jbhhall

jbhhall Well-Known Member

What do you think about a pentax k30? my friend been looking for a camera, he was looking at Nikon or cannon but I told him pentax were a good camera, he says he wants one for his daughter for xmas as she is just starting college, it comes with a kit lens and he says last one in shop and its a great price. Should he buy it?

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

as a Pentax user I would say yes wouldn't I...but by all accounts it does a reasonable job although it's been superceded by the K50

3. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Superseded only in looks. The K50 is the K30 but with a more conservative style... which makes the K30 even more of a bargain.

I own the K30 and can honestly say it is very, very good. It has many features over and above any camera at its price point: weather-sealing, dual control wheels, large 100% pentaprism viewfinder, in built image stabilisation, I could go on.

Only downsides for me is the occasionally inconsistent (and relatively noisey) auto focus performance, especially in low light - but that is common for Pentax cameras and for cameras at this level.

Personally I would highly recommend it!

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi ya JB,

You don't what the great price is:eek: but, as mentioned above, there was a replacement camera brought out, the K-50 but, again as mentioned above, the K-30 is a cracking camera :) In fact, I was considering replacing my Pentax K-r with the K-30 but, at least in Canada, it's been replaced by the K-50 :)

I would check pricing for some other shops .... just to see :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

The K30 is a crackin' camera and will do just as good a job as any other camera at its level and in fact has the same sensor as you'd find in some of its rivals from Sony and Nikon so you know the pics are going to be top quality :)

For me buying today, the 100% viewfinder would be the clincher for me. It's a feature that only a few years ago was only found in Pro dSLR's, and just gives you confidence that what your seeing will be the picture in the camera.

That said, a camera is a personal thing and the best way to find out if they'll like it is to let them try the feel of the camera in their hand - this really does make a difference, it could be the best camera on the market but if it is not nice to hold in their hand they just won't pick it up. Personally speaking, the K30 is the best feeling camera i have ever held, and i am just sad i have never owned one, but everyone is different... Maybe ask them for their opinion while pretending to shop for a camera for yourself ;)

I have a good friend I convinced to go for a Fuji Bridge camera as it is a superior machine and had all the features they wanted and needed at a cheaper price than the Nikon Bridge they had seen on a TV advert, but they still think about the Nikon they could have had because at the time the 'I Am Nikon' ad on telly had got into their head. They have taken beautiful pictures with the camera they have, but as i said, it really is personal preference when getting cameras :)

6. jbhhall

jbhhall Well-Known Member

Thanks for input , he has bought it now he paid £319.00,they even put a 16gb memory card in for price. I always had pentax , I had mv then I had the me super which was a cracking camera, I took all my pics of son growing up. then some ....... broke in to my home and pinched the lot. I have replaced me super which I still use with standard 50 mm lens, But after that I changed to Nikon to do my college work on. Looking at the new pentax with all the weather proofing it makes me wonder if to change back.

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

At that price, with the lens and a 16GB card, it's pretty much unbeatable.
    I have a soft spot for Pentax DSLR's having started off my photographic journey with an MX many years ago. When I went digital, I nearly got a K10 but it was just beaten (in my own testing) by Nikon's D80.
    Pentax's current range looks very impressive, and they have a great reputation.

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Good stuff jbhhall, enjoy and good shooting :)

Cheers,

Jack