1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax K10D vs Samsung GX10

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Dal1970, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Ratcatcherpix

Ratcatcherpix Well-Known Member

In another magazine review the samsung came out on top. Should'nt pentax be concerned about this

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:eek: ........ :D ........... :eek: ......
    Ah, IMVHO, no Dick :D

Cheers,

Jack

3. Dun_Diggin

Dun_Diggin Member

What bemuses me is that whilst other stores are reducing prices, Amazon has just added £100 to the price of the GX10 with twin lens kit - it's now listed at £728. Supply and demand, I guess, all the retailers showing £599 for the twin lens kit are sold out.

Looks like I'll be waiting a while yet before I buy my first K mount DSLR.

Andrew

4. MarkF

MarkF Member

see here

i know i posted this link beforfe but im moving in the samsungs direction, like its said 2 lenses and 2 years guarentee for the money, the above link has a 3 year!!! and from what i have found is 50 nickers cheaper than anywhere else bar one or two

Your links have been modified to preserve forum shape. Please read the explanation on posting links on this site in the Feedback and FAQ section of this site entitled "How to post a web link". Thanks, Moderator.

5. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Maybe Pentax could comment on why Samsung offer a better warranty!
    :rolleyes:

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Never mind that - perhaps Pentax could comment on why they are charging so much more for the camera, and they don't appear to offer a 2-lens kit either

7. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

Peversely, Another Magazine described the K10D as a clone of the Samsung GX10...Very worrying that they should be so ignorant.

8. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I think that is just brilliant!!! You need to say which magazine wrote that.

You've made my day.

damien

9. johnriley1uk

Digital Photographer.

Glad to make your day!

10. chiefsilverback

chiefsilverback Active Member

So which should I get?

I've got an *ist DS and I'm planning on upgrading in the next week or so but I can't decide between the GX10 and K10D!?!?

As cameras they appear to be so close you'd be pushed to get a Rizla between them and it's only really the extra warranty on the Samsung plus the fact that you can get the extra 50-200 with the GX10 that can really sway the buying decision.

Bottom line is I don't necessarily need the 50-200 (I the Sigma 70-300 APO) but it might be useful if my girlfriend takes over my *ist. Failing that I could sell it for maybe £100?

Are the lenses the same or do the Samsungs lose the smc coating? What input have Schneider had?

Which should I choose?

11. johnriley1uk

Schneider is a trademark and has been applied to the lenses made by Pentax, for the pruposes of selling the lenses with Samsung cameras (also made by Pentax)

To the eye, the colour of the coatings looks exactly the same on both the Pentax and Schneider lenses, so I would suggest there is no difference.

You might find you like the 50-200mm lens as it's rather a good one, but if not you could always sell it on eBay!

However, I would buy the Pentax as I believe it will hold its value better.

12. chiefsilverback

I just don't understand the logic!

If the cameras are nigh on identical then why would Pentax let Samsung undercut them on the price whilst offering a longer warranty too!?!?

I can understand pre-internet, but now you can all but pull up the blueprints for each camera after a few clicks most people will surely opt for the Samsung!?!?

13. Damien_Demolder

I think you are making assumptions. Do you know that they are the same, or are you guessing?

It might be true that the Pentax branded lenses will hold their value longer, but since when was Pentax a more respected optical brand than Schneider?

damien

14. chiefsilverback

I think that's a question a lot of people would like an answer for? Are the Schneider and Pentax lenses equal?

The AP K10D v GX10 article doesn't differentiate between the IQ, favours the K10D for having buttons that appear more useable with cold/gloved fingers but recommends the Samsung on the weight of it's warranty period!?!?

Personally I just have this little niggle that ultimately the Pentax is better!??! I suppose that's what Pentax are banking on, a customer who used an MX 35mm and moved to digital with an *ist is far more likely to stick with Pentax than buy a 'new' entrant, even though all the evidence stacks up to proof that they are identical.....

15. johnriley1uk

The actual "street price" is something else, and there is variation in both cameras favour. Also remember that the supply chain for each camera is different - the Samsung can be available where the Pentax is not, and vice-versa.

Pentax are a well established and respected camera manufacturer. Samsung are a well respected electronics company. The profiles and customer recognition are different.

OK, we are familar with both, but many people will not be and the market possibilities are increased. And if Samsung want to buy cameras from Pentax and Pentax want to benefit from Samsung's electronic know-how, then why not? Maybe also in some parts of the world market one will clearly do better than the other.

Frankly, I bought the Pentax because it fits the rest of my Pentax profile, but if I had no allegance then I would buy the lowest cost option.

You have the choice, and Pentax/Samsung have two chances to get your money!

16. johnriley1uk

I am making assumptions, but with some information to base it on and the coatings do look the same.

I think the Pentax lenses will hold their value better because people will recognise that they are from a respected lens maker. On the other hand, the Schneider lenses are on Samsung cameras and I feel that people will think they are just branded as such because Samsung have the rights to the name. I do not believe that it will be generally thought that they are actually made by Schneider. Even some of the Pentax lenses have optical components at least made by Tokina and others, so nothing is certain these days.

Now if I could afford the Rolleiflex 4.0 Wide Angle with its wonderful looking Schneider lens I'd expect a high quality optic, but I might suspect it was actually made under licence by Rollei....

More assumptions, but hopefully with a degree of logic behind them!

17. chiefsilverback

I've just read a thread on the PentaxLife forum where someone asked Samsung if the K10D battery grip is compatible with the GX10 and they said it was!?!?

If true that would suggest that the Samsung support team have been told the cameras are identical!?!?!?!

I'm being tempted towards the Pentax, even though price/warranty say Samsung. I'm hoping my local Jacobs will have both in today so I can look at them side by side...

18. Damien_Demolder

Yes it is compatible. That's the whole point. The two cameras share accessories and lenses.

You can even switch the straps :D

damien

19. chiefsilverback

I've seen articles where people say the Pentax grip doesn't fit the Samsung without some slight modifications!?!?

http://pentaxlife.com/d-bg2-battery-grip-doesnt-fit-samsung-gx-10

20. johnriley1uk

The Samsung GX10 is made by Pentax and is substantially the same as the Pentax K10D. There are minor cosmetic and firmware differences. The Pentax accessories will fit the Samsung.