1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax K10D vs Samsung GX10

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Dal1970, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Dal1970

Dal1970 Active Member

OK, we all know that the Samsung is a rebranded Pentax, however the price difference seems to indicate that the Samsung is vastly inferior to the Pentax.

K10D £599 body only

GX10 £649 body plus 2 kit lenses

Can anyone enlighten me as to the reason for this huge difference.

If there really is no difference between them then I think that the Samsung is the way to go.

Darren

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I don't really know, but has the name something to do with it, possibly?

David.

3. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The basic cameras and lenses appear to be the same, but I understand that the menu setups differ according to the preferences of each company. How significant these differences are I do not know.

Whilst it is probably true that there may be no photographic difference, when you come to the next upgrade it is more than likely that the Pentax branded options will command higher second hand values.

I have bought the Pentax option, but if I couldn't afford that I would happily use the Samsung variant. Only you can choose....

4. Dal1970

Dal1970 Active Member

Thanks for the replies so far, however there must be something more fundemental than the name and different menu layout.

The name is neither here or there, as Samsung already make cameras. Plus the secondhand value is not a problem as most won't need to upgrade this camera.

I could understand the difference if it was just the 18-55mm kit lens, but not the 50-200mm as well. Plus the Samsung price is in Argos, not a discounted store.

Doe the Samsung have features removed/disabled, such as the program shift etc.

Darren

5. johnriley1uk

It looks to me that Samsung sell into some slightly different markets. If they wanted a DSLR but hadn't got the expertise to make one they would look for someone who had. Perhaps worldwide Samsung have some significant areas where Pentax do not sell.

6. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Looking at the official site it's not quite identical, although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of the specifications yet:
    http://www.samsungcamera.com/product/pro_view.asp?prol_uid=1923&cat_uid=62

Apart from minor cosmetic, and menu, differences, the main difference I've spotted is that it appears only have one RAW format - the Adobe DNG one (not sure if this is inferior or not to Pentax RAW).

Obviously, you will pay more for the Pentax badge, but the difference does seem remarkable - I assume the Schneider-branded lenses are rebadge Pentaxes as well?

Interesting! ... :)

7. Dal1970

Dal1970 Active Member

Yep, the lenses are apparently rebadged as well.

Looking more likely that I will get the Samsung.

Darren

8. johnriley1uk

Yes, the lenses are made by Pentax in their Vietnam factories.

There have been some terrific Samsung bargain packages just recently.

9. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Hi Darren

The two cameras seem identical at first, and indeed have only a few differences. The GX10 has only DNG raw files, and the menu system is designed in a different way. There is a slight difference on the backplate and Samsung has not upgraded its firmware to allow wireless flash from the built-in unit - yet.

I'm testing the GX10 in our March 24 issue and will look closely at the differences in the images the cameras produce to see if there is more than meets the eye at first glance.

The price difference comes down to the fact that Samsung will have a harder time convincing photography enthusiasts to buy their products than Pentax will.

damien

10. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Samsung will support the SuperSonic DA* lenses??

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Hmmmm, any reports of people fitting Pentax firmware to the Samsung camera yet, Pentax people?

12. johnriley1uk

Sounds like a bad idea to me - the menu system is different and for all we know it could cause serious problems.

13. HaggisBasher

HaggisBasher New Member

I think i read somewhere that the Samsung does not have the 22 bit A-D converter I cant find any confirmation but its certainly not promoted on their website if it does.

cheers
    Tom

14. Dal1970

Dal1970 Active Member

15. Dal1970

Dal1970 Active Member

Thank you Damien.

I look forward to your review.

Personally, I don't care what the camera name is, so long as it works as it is supposed to (and I can use it!!).

Darren

16. Alex1994

I await the review with interest! :)

17. Alex1994

18. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Alex,

neat video...thanks for the link :)

Jack

19. meirion

meirion Well-Known Member

If you shop around you may even find that the price gap isn't so large. Mathers of Lancashire are now advertising the K10D body only at £529 :eek:
    ps - no I don't work for them, just thought I'd point it out!

20. oldtimer

oldtimer Well-Known Member

Glad I did not rush in :)

Maybe give it a couple more months yet.