1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax K10d. Remote Control or CS205 Cable Control

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by GrahamR, Apr 7, 2008.

1. GrahamR

GrahamR Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Want to get a remote release for long exposures on K10d.

Dont know what to go for though.

Do I get the classic CS205 Cable Release or the Modern Remote Control switch, which also fits in the K10d Grip.

Do they do anything different?

Used to using Cables on Minolta gear.

Thanks
    Graham

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

An Infrared is available for the K10D. works well from the front or behind as the camera has two sensors.

3. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

I use the cable release with no problems. Cheaper and just as effective. Really it's your choice - cable or remote!

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

As a matter of interest, with regard to the CS205 cable release, as much as it hurts me to say it, the Canon RS-60E3 cable release also works on Pentax dSLR's. It can be bought much cheaper than the Pentax remote. Below is the link to 7dayshop.

Canon RS-60E3 Remote

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was going to say that's unusual, given the exorbitant prices of such Canon accessories, but seing 7dayshop's price I understand! That's a decent enough price, even if it is still quite a bit of money for a very simple device.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

As well as the Canon brand remote there is also this unbranded one also from 7dayshop. Much cheaper still.
    I use the Canon RS-60E3 on my Pentax DL2 (shame on me) and it works fine.

Canon Unbranded Remote

7. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I bought a remote that combines IR and a cable - it's a small IR remote that comes with a cable that can be plugged in to give a traditional cable release (along with the capability for 'B' mode, which IR releases can't do). It cost £24.99, works a treat and, as has been said, it's great that the camera has IR sensors both at the front and the back of the camera.

Have a look here: Seculine Twin 1-R3 UT Universal Remote Control

8. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, I bought the Pentax CS205 and I find it works perfectly on my Ricoh XRX. I reckon that just as the old mechanical cable releases were standard on most cameras, there is also a standard electronic cable release that quite a few cameras use, where the connection is very similar in appearance to a small headphone jack.

9. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Found another cheap infrared remote control here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Remote-Control-4-i...1742.m153.l1262

Supposedly controls many cameras from the makes shown in the link title - and does include the Pentax/Samsung K10/K100/clones ranges.

Very cheap, £5.49 inc p&p - so I ordered one last night with some other stuff. Let's see what it is like.

John

10. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

Yes, cheap enough to try, but no simple infrared remote will allow you to lock the shutter open in Bulb mode for long exposures. That's why I paid extra for a 'combo' unit that you can also connect to the camera via a supplied cable - the best of both worlds.

11. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Finally got around to trying the cheap remote that I bought as above!

Works well, up to at least 3m from the camera in any more or less any direction (once I realised that you have to press the Fn button and change the drive mode!)

Well worth the £5.49 I paid for it - and it is still available.

John

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I bought a CS-205 a week ago. I prefer a cable switch to a remote as it has a lock for Bulb exposures. The UK prices are rather high though, I bought mine in Japan for half the retail price here.