1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax K-5 image quality trouncing the competition?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by john_g, Nov 14, 2010.

1. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I've been keeping my eye open for reviews and articles which focus on the image quality of the K-5, especially at high ISO settings. And it looks like Pentax have finally done it - a very accomplished photographer's camera that has truly outstanding image quality. I tend to look only at RAW results as this is how I always shoot, and it looks to me like this is the camera that will finally get me really wanting to upgrade from my Samsung GX-10. Ok, the images look a bit soft and maybe lacking in contrast compared to the opposition but, on the other hand, these things are easily dealt with in post-processing and it looks like the K-5 is capturing far more information to work with... just look at the dynamic range Pentax are squeezing out of the sensor.

Now all I need is for my bank manager to agree to let me do a lot of quantitative easing.

RAW & JPEG comparison with Canon EOS 60D & Nikon D7000 (and others if you change the selections):
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60d/page18.asp

Short article (with link) about DXOMark scores for the Pentax K-5:
    http://www.neutralday.com/pentax-k-5-and-nikon-d7000-score-big-in-recent-dxomark-testing/

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hmmm.

Being a Canon 50D owner and occasionally dropping in to the relevant DPRview forum, I've been aware of the envious noises (about the sensor) being made by Canonites for a few days, and I wondered how long it would be before it got picked up here!

Hope you can get one soon and tell me how well the extra 3 stops of DR does in comparison with my now ageing Eos 5D! (Can it take old Pentax K mount MF lenses? I have a few in my store.)

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

if you mean the Pentax ...I would imagine it can take K mount lenses...

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've not used that DPReview feature before, quite interesting isn't it.

The Pentax K5 and the Nikon D7000 both use Sony made sensors and the Sony a55 and a580 have similar size CMOS sensors (maybe they're all one and the same - although Nikon do say "Nikon designed") so comparing them all may be instructive - or interesting anyway :)

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Malcolm,

All the Pentax DSLR's can accept all K-mount lenses, although DO NOT USE <u>RIcoh "P" lenses (Program)</u> as, for some reason, they won't come off ...without a whole lotta grief :eek: :( They, Pentax DSLR's, will accept M-42 lenses with a K-mount adapter :)

Cheers,

Jack

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

They do all seem to perform very similar. Although the Sony have only bothered with 12 bits per pixel. Possibly explains the low ISO performance?

But the K-5 does 7fps over the 6fps of the D7000 at around the same price.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've no idea but I guess in reality they'd all give much the same photo quality - except to pixel peepers and nitpickers :) but as I'm not interested in owning any of them I'm never going know.

8. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I think that there are two areas in which I'd hope to see real improvements compared to my current camera: the ability to recover much more shadow detail from low ISO RAW files, and the ability to use high ISO settings whilst still maintaining quality levels commensurate with decent sized prints. Whether any of this makes an upgrade worthwhile is a moot point.

A lot of people have always said that digital is inferior to film because camera sensors can't achieve the dynamic range of film. I think this may be the point at which digital starts to really overtake film on a technical (if not aesthetic) level. All electronics technology has evolved massively in recent times and, just when I thought digital image quality had plateaued until the next break-through arrives, it seems that there are still worthwhile improvements to be had.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I fully agree - film does still seem to record highlights far better than any digital system I have seen. Digital is getting better, and I would say for most people it does now offer far more than film did. Both the K-r and K-5 seem to be very fine cameras, and the high ISO levels are way beyond what I (and probably 99% of photographers) have ever used with film. It's a good time to be a photographer. :)

10. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

11. usuqa

usuqa New Member

I had a d3, now a k5...

The sensor in the k5 is amazing, more detail.. more dynamic range and similar high iso. Overall Id say the k5 has better image quality that the d3 and there is alot more play in the raw files to. Altho I do miss the shallower DoF.

I already had pentax stuff, and I wanted to go back down to one system and smaller body's... that was the main reason for getting the k5 and Im so glad I did.