1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax Film SLR

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Yecora99, Dec 16, 2008.

1. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Re: Pentax Film SLR -- Ffordes

If there is no sign of a lever-wind on the top of a camera, then it almost certainly has autofilm advance! In that respect, they are no different from the Minolta/Konica/Sony cameras.

Thus, all those shown on the Ffordes site meet the auto-film advance criteria, as will a lot of the others shown on the Pentax-Users compatibility chard. In addition, many will also take power winders/motor drives to speed up the frame rate (although are often quite noisy)

2. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

I've dealt with Ffordes and Mifsuds and both are more than satisfactory...

I bought my MZ-S used from Mifsuds and am very happy. Amongst the MZ series, the MZ-S is THE DADDY...very unlike its predecessor, Z-1p, but an absolute dream to use....

Having seen the MZ-10, MZ-50, MZ-30 and MZ-60 (the order in which they were introduced) they were obviously budget cameras compared with the -5, -3 and -6. I didn't realise the MZ-7 had a plastic mount :eek:..

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have bought a Pentax 50mm f/1.7 autofocus lens from Ffodes and was very happy with it and the service.

4. Yecora99

Yecora99 Well-Known Member

As you are aware I bought the MZ-50, and have since found out that it won't meter correctly when I attach my Hoya 28mm lens or my 500mm tamron lens because they don't have the 'A' setting.

After visiting the Ffodes and Mifsuds webistes the following are of interest to me: The MZ-S, MZ-5, MZ-5n and a few Z-Series cameras.

I know that my Pentax AF-360FGZ flashgun will work on the MZ series cameras, but would like to know if it will also work on the Z-series cameras? Obviously if the AF-360FGZ is not comptible with the Z-Series cameras I will opt for either the MZ-S, MZ-5 or MZ-5n.

Best Regards,

Yecora99

5. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Well, that was according to the AP test which I read before I bought the MZ5N!

Another reason I did'nt buy the 7 was because it does not have spot-metering - which I use quite a lot.

6. welshwizard645

According to Bob Dimitrov, and the picture shows it, the MZ-7 has a metal mount.... or a very highly polished metal look and feel plastic

The thing that has put me off the MZ-6 and -7, and why I kep the *ist D rather than the DL when I bought my K10D was the inferior level of control compared with the -5, -5n, -3 and -S.. My arsenal consists of the Z-1, Z-1p, MZ-S, *ist D (on loan to my father) and K10D - all superb, but in different ways...

7. welshwizard645

I don't think the AF360 FGZ will work on the Z-series cameras except in manual...

If you can get the MZ-S then do so it is a truly superb camera

8. Yecora99

Just to let you know that I have bought a secondhand Pentax Z-1 over the internet this weekend. Hopefully it will arrive later this week so that I can try it out next weekend.

Best Regards,

Yecora99

9. welshwizard645

I just looked on Mifuds website and they have the FD grip for 39 pounds (it does nothing apart from making the camera more comfortable to hold) and the AF500FTZ flash (E+) for 99 pounds....

10. Yecora99

Well it's arrived and I'm not disappointed with it. The Z-1 looks like and certainly feels like a quality Film SLR. :)

The viewfinder is alot clearer than the MZ-50 I originally bought. I'll try a roll of film soon and see how it handles before deciding if I should buy the FD grip on sale at Mifsuds.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, helpful advice and weblinks - they were very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Yecora

11. Yecora99

Just a quick note to advise that I used my Pentax Z-1 for the first time this weekend whilst I was out and about in the hills around Chew Brook and Dovestone.

It is also the first time I have used a Polariser so lets hope the results are good.

Best Regards,

Yecora99

12. Monobod

Looking forward to some photos posted here then.

13. welshwizard645

The results will be good..

Last week I got back from Peak some black and white prints taken on the Z-1 and my camera delivered some pretty good, even if I say so myself :D

14. Monobod

I have loaded my Z1-p with a roll of Fuji Provia 100F slide film. Just need a drop of sunshine and I'm off to take some photos of the winter landscape here in Norfolk. I still enter slides at the Godalming Photographic Club so I need some new images. Quite looking forward to it.

Yes, I still travel 160 miles each way for some of the club nights! I Must be :mad: :D

15. Yecora99

Dovestone (2)

Here are a couple of images from the first roll of film used in my pentax Z-1.

I can't seem to embed the images so have had to put a link to my flickr site instead. Don't know why the images won't embed but that's life I suppose, I made sure they were less than 100K and less than 600x600!
    Image 1

Image 2

Best Regards,

Yecora99

16. Monobod

Re: Dovestone (2)

Not much to worry about there then. Looks nice an sharp.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Re: Dovestone (2)

When trying to embed the actual image the image address MUST end in ".JPG" (or GIF as well IIRC) and be in the form:

(image)http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3406/3261654792_f5ca561d78_o.jpg(/image) but with the curved brackets replaced with square [] ones. Easiest way is to right click on the source image and select properties from the pop-up menu. Highlight the full image address (URL) and copy it (CTRL+C). In the forum text box click the 'Image' option under "Instant Mark-up" and paste (CTRL+V) the URL into the supplied box and click 'OK'.

Thus...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]