1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

pentax 6x7 or 645

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by amontiel, Nov 27, 2001.

1. amontiel

amontiel Member

Hi, I write from Mexico (excuse my english). I don't know almost nothing about medium format cameras, but at work, we have to buy one mainly for reproductions of art works. I'm a pentax fan, so, before I asked about anothers brands, I wanted to ask to the british photographers what do they think about which is the best choice? I work for the government so I want to make the best choice I can.
    Thank you very much for your possible answers.

Alejandro Montiel. Puebla, México.

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Hi Alejandro, and welcome! Your English is excellent.

For the subjects you say this is for, I don't think either Pentax model would be your best choice. A polaroid back to check your exposure and composition would seem to be an important extra, and neither can take one unless you buy the NPC back for the 67, which really means dedicating a body to it alone.

You'd be better off with either the Mamiya RB or RZ67, the Fuji GX680 or better still a 4x5" camera. Sheet film is still the professional's choice for photographing art works. If in the future you wished (or had) to go digital these options can do so. The Pentaxes, for all their excellence can not.

Hope this helps,
    Tim /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

"Art is a lie which makes you realise the truth"

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Hi Alejandro, of the two cameras you have named, I think the Pentax 6x7 would be the better choice. It is a simple case of "bigger being better" in the photographic world. In other words, the larger the size of the negative the better quality image you will get. (See TimF's comments). The advantage the Pentax 6x7 has over the Mamiya and the sheet film cameras is that it is a Single lens reflex camera. You will get a correct way round image in the viewfinder, you will NOT get parallax error with close up photography and it comes with a metered prism and TTL flash and a single action rapid wind lever. (The new 67II that is, not the older models).
    BigWill

4. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

Will, I think you just secured your membership to the Pentax Forum!

I would agree with everything you said, for repro work I would always want an SLR with as close to 100% visible viewfinder, so that I could be sure what was going on the film!

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The Mamiyas are also SLR cameras. I agree with Tim that the Pentaxes are not the ideal choice, excellent cameras though they are.

Nick NRIPN
    If I had my life to live again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Except he's actually wrong about the Mamiyas, which are better suited to this type of work, and the 5x4 even more so!

Nick NRIPN
    If I had my life to live again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

For reproduction of art work, Nick is quite right, the 5x4 is the best choice but out of a choice between the two Pentaxes, then I think the 6x7 is the best choice. The Mamiya also does not come with a prism head as standard. You have to buy it as a (costly!) optional extra. The Pentax DOES come with a prism as standard.
    BigWill

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Now that IS true, but if the Mexican government is paying, surely the factors of ease of use and quality are more important in the long run?

(I have to say that I think the Pentax 67is a superb camera, indeed probably my favourite 6x7, but not as well suited for this type of photography as one with interchangeable backs).

Nick NRIPN
    A quart of ale, a dish fit for a king.

(William Shakespeare)

9. TimF

Will, the image in a "waist-level" finder is the right way up, just reversed laterally. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

10. amontiel

amontiel Member

Thank you very very much for your participation. I think the discussion is focused in "interchangeable backs", would you be so kind to explain this point to me?
    Of course for the government is very important to make the better choice in terms of durability and easy of use, and facilities to get accesories...

11. TimF

Hi again Alejandro,
    An interchangeable back is simply one that can be removed from the camera body and replaced by a second (either the same or in a different format). This allows you to use differing films (eg colour slide, colour print, or Black and White) without needing to finish a roll first. It also allows the use of a Polaroid back for checking exposure, composition etc, as I said in my earlier post.

For example, the Mamiya RB67 has alternative backs in 6x7cm (as supplied with the camera), 6x8cm, 6x4.5cm, 70mm bulk film or Polaroid instant film formats. The first two of these can be had in either manual or powered wind-on.

If you can find a Mamiya corporate web site for Mexico (or the USA) you may be able to obtain brochures if there are no stockists near you.

Hope this helps,
    Tim