1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax 645N

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Gordscam, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Gordscam

Gordscam Member

Hi,

New to this forum. Looking for some advice/help. Is there a digital back available that I can use with a Pentax 645N?

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Do you mean from Pentax, or a third party manufacturer? I do not know of one, but that doesn't mean they do not exist, of course.

Have you done a Google?

Welcome to the forum.

3. Gordscam

Gordscam Member

I don't mind who makes it - as long as it fits and works! Tried googling - but no luck so far.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Try Leaf Aptus

5. Gordscam

Gordscam Member

From what I can gather from googling 'leaf aptus' it fits some Mamiya, Bronica and Contax cameras - but not a Pentax 645N.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

sorry -hadn't looked quite that far.
    I noticed it fits the Bronica ETRS which I have........
    doesn't fit my wallet though :D
    Might see if I can hire one from somewhere one day when I've won the lottery triple rollover and use the Euromillions as a deposit :D

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but Pentax 645 cameras do not have interchangeable backs, do they? As such it would be difficult to manufacture a product that would function with one, as the fixed camera back would preclude the use of a viewing sreen. I know they have film inserts which are loaded and then fitted into the body in the same way as Mamiya 645s.

8. Gordscam

Gordscam Member

Sounds like what I am looking for does not exist!

I am a newcomer to MF work. I was offered a Pentax 645N plus 80-160mm lens for what was a ridiculously low price.

Normally I use a Nikon D200 and intend upgrading to a D300 -once any bugs have been ironed out. Over the past year I have been using genuine fractals to rezz up my images and have been quite succesful in selling via a gallery and various fine art fairs.

I just feel that I would like to dip a nervous toe into monochrome MF work. I do not have access to a darkroom - and probably would not wish to go down that route.

I suppose scanning my negs via a dedicated film scanner and working on them in Photoshop would be the ideal way to go?
    Would an image produced in this way be any better than one taken with a D200 and worked in the same way in Photoshop?

Any suggestions/recommendations as to which film scanner I could use?

9. Gordscam

Gordscam Member

But I understand that there are digital backs for Mamiya 645AFDs - or maybe they are designed specifically to take digital backs.

It's all very confusing!

10. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

There is no digital back for the 645N for the reasons already given - it has film insert backs and not interchangeable backs.

You could use film and then scan and I'm sure the results would be excellent - but the scanner would need to be one of the expensive Nikons to do it justice I think.

There are plenty of flat bed scanners though that will scan MF film, so maybe a play with one of those in the first instance?

My experience was that cameras like the D200 and the Pentax K10D and others are so good that Medium Format has become unnecessary...

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Mamiya 645 AFD has interchangeable backs, so fitting a digital back is possible.