1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax 28mm Espio range

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Happy Hens, May 20, 2002.

1. Happy Hens

Happy Hens Well-Known Member

Just wondered if there were any opinions regarding the current line up of Pentax 35mm zoom compacts covering 28mm ie. Espio 928M (28-90mm), Espio 105SW (28-105mm) and the Espio 120SW (28-120mm).

Billy and/or Carolyn

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

My mum had the older (larger version) 928 model, which wasn't half bad at all. Sadly it bit the dust when our labrador jumped up at her and the camera fell onto a hard tiled floor.

<font color=red>Gabba Gabba Hey!!</font color=red>

3. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Pentax 28mm Espio range "Edited'

Hello Billy and Carolyn,

I have sold lots of the Espio 928's and quite a few of the Espio 120SW's
    more recently. I have sold both the 928's and 120SW's to friends, customers
    and combinations there of and I have yet to hear many complaints from the
    people who I have sold them too. A lot of the people like the 120SW's
    small size and largish zoom and there a some people who the 928's larger
    size and the fact that the camera is a little less expensive. As for photo
    quality, I have yet to hear too many complaints otherthan the usual "why are we
    sihouetted in this picture that was taken from inside the restaurant of the
    view of this beautiful scenery"./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"EDIT"

I hope that some of the information was helpful, especially the edited bit.

Cheers,

Jack

not digital but film, so far, but digital is
    starting to seduce me.

5. Happy Hens

Well I have been reading the brochures on these zoom compacts as I can remember enjoying taking photos more in the early 1990's compared to lugging around an SLR kit when I had my Minolta Riva 105i Zoom, which was like a brick but did have passive autofocus and also an irritating autozoom feature that I had to turn off at each switch on.
    Anyway, I also liked using my Olympus Mju2 compact though it was restricting with only 35mm lens. So I noticed that there are some 28mm zoom compacts on the go now and they are the Pentax 928M, 105SW and the 120SW, also the Yashica 110W and the Fujifilm zoom date 1000. As you will expect the apertures of these zooms is horrendous mostly at F4.8 to F12 range. I am interested in the metal bodied cameras and also passive autofocus coupled with a good lens and a decent shutter speed range but the only gripe that I would have is watching out for the flash firing in normal light as some cameras ie. the Minolta 70W/75W have a habit of the auto flash firing to often.
    I have read the reviews by consumers at 2 websites both US based (www.camerareview.com and www.photographyreview.com) and with most cameras the opinions are split between good cameras and faulty ones. According to the sites my Canon Ixus L1 is going to stop working in 2 years max from new and the repair isn't worth the money so I should throw the camera away and buy 35mm compact.
    I have seen the very very poor quality of Fuji lenses on Carolyns old Fuji 210ix APS camera so I am biased against Fuji cameras. I did have a loan of a Pentax Espio 105g and took slide film and most of the slides have good sharpness and no distortion that I can see and I was very pleased with them, but I had read that Pentax Espios are not very reliable. The 928M does have a good spec but looks bulkier than the 105SW and 120SW, yet the Yashica looks good also. Any other info would be appreciated.

Billy and/or Carolyn

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, Billy, I'm surprised about the Fuji lens comments - Fuji lenses in general are rated among the very, very best for medium format, and also in that dinky 35mm compact whose name I've forgotten.
    Now, my wife has an original Pentax Espio (as well as an EOS - makes my life easier, if dearer!) - it's the one before they started numbering them, and has but a 35-70 zoom. She's had it for 8 or 9 years now, and it's been as good as gold, apart from the zoom rocker broke once and had to be repaired, and also we dropped it, cracking the plastic screen protecting the topplate LCD. But it's been all over - up mountains, in the desert, in rainforest - in short, everywhere we've been. It's been a great little camera, and I would say pretty reliable. It also produces super results.
    There's also a Canon with a 28-90 zoom that looks pretty compact (can't remember the name, though), but the Espio 928M looks pretty good to me.

Nick BSRIPN

7. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

the dinky little compact is the stunnngly brilliant Mju II.
    goes well when loaded with Kodak Elite Chrome Extra Colour!

8. Happy Hens

Well as a rule I avoid anything that has moving parts, sounds daft but what I mean is take the like of these pop up flashes on compacts or even the Fuji zoom date 1000 I mentioned earlier it has a LCD panel with mode buttons on the back plate of the camera and that is the part that you open and close to load/unload film so the constant opening and closing is not so good for the reliability of the flexi-circuit board or wires linking the camera to the backplate.
    Iused to have a digital organiser that the display was on the top half and the keyboard was on the bottom half and there was a hinge in the middle and that started to play up so that is why I avoid them, even these folding mobile phones are suspect. I had a Sony CMH333 (Mars bar) analogue mobile years ago and to make or answer a call you had to slide the earpiece up and to end a call you had to slide it down and after a while the phone became unreliable as this moving part was faulty and I was not the only one to have this trouble.
    If the buttons and LCD are all fixed connections on the top plate (or back plate in the case of APS cameras) and the flashes are fixed and don't rely on popping up or popping out sideways or swing open in the case of the Canon Epoca and one of the Canon Ixus zooms, then that would in my opinion improve reliability as it is one less thing that could go wrong.
    My old Olympus Mju 2 is another example as opening the slider cover if it was touched sometimes the power would switch off and this was a bit of a nuicance, another moving part you see.
    I just thought that I would mention it that's all./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Billy and/or Carolyn

9. Done_rundleCams

Hi Billy and Carolyn

"I have sold lots of the Espio 928's and quite a few of the Espio 120SW's
    more recently. I have sold both the 928's and 120SW's to friends, customers
    and combinations there of and I have yet to hear many complaints from the
    people who I have sold them too. A lot of the people like the 120SW's
    small size and largish zoom and there a some people who the 928's larger
    size and the fact that the camera is a little less expensive. As for photo
    quality, I have yet to hear too many complaints otherthan the usual "why are we
    sihouetted in this picture that was taken from inside the restaurant of the
    view of this beautiful scenery"."EDIT"

I hope that some of the information was helpful, especially the edited bit."

B & C: all P&S's(with zooms) have horrendously small apertures.&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;
    Nick: the Canon Z90W is rather largish.

starting to seduce me.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Rob, no it's not - I meant the Fuji compact, whose name still escapes me.
    Agree 100% on the ability of the Mju II / ExtraColour parnership, though.

Nick BSRIPN

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fuji DL Supermini 28mm/f3.5 - someone's selling one on the site. That was the camera, excellent lens.

Nick BSRIPN

12. Done_rundleCams

"I meant the Fuji compact, whose name still escapes me"

Nick,

I believe you are thinking about the Fjui Super Mini. It has
    a metal body and a "clam-shell" style cover and had that great
    EBC Fujinon 28/3.5 lens.

Cheers,

Jack&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

starting to seduce me.

13. Done_rundleCams

So like what,dude, are you psychic or something??&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

Jack

starting to seduce me.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

P.S. Forgot to mention that the original Espio has an Intervalometer! That means I have access to two such cameras with the feature!

Nick BSRIPN

15. rkilpin

rkilpin Well-Known Member

but how many times have you used it?

<font color="#0077FF">All this talk of cameras and gadgets confuses me.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Same number as on the EOS 10QD. Although we have used the date print on the Espio more times than on the 10QD (that'll be 3-0!).

Nick BSRIPN

17. Done_rundleCams

" Forgot to mention that the original Espio has an Intervalometer! "

Nick,

You are a wicked man.&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

Jack

starting to seduce me.