1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax 17-70 F/4

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Has anyone seen a review or test report for this new lens? I have the older Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-5.6 which is not giving such good results on the K-5 as it did on my K10D. This new lens could be just what I am looking for, but is it a high end model, or just a compromise?

At a constant f/4 it suggests to me that it is a quality lens, but I need some evidence before I consider shelling out for it.

Thanks.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Whoops, wrong lens, sorry.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Is this the right 17-70 f4? Sorry, it's Popphoto, not the most reliable source.

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

SLRgear have a detailed test report here.

I've seen quite a few favourable comments in other forums.

6. John_Hine

John_Hine Well-Known Member

I may have just had a defective copy but I was extremely dissatisfied with my SDM 17-70, especially as I paid more for it than I have ever paid for any other lens (£462). It was not as good as the 18-55 that came with the K-r. Fortunately, I managed to get a refund (minus a "restocking" fee). I now have a DA 16-45 which was half the price and is much better (but see my post about Shake Reduction). My advice is to do a very careful check in or outside the shop. Maybe take some pictures and look at them carefully at home before returning to buy the lens.

7. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

It may not have been the lens as such and I wonder if you tried to fine adjust the AF? The K20D and later cameras offer fine tuning of the AF system for up to 20 different lenses.

8. Monobod

Interesting to see one report considers the new Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 to be marginally better and it is cheaper by £170, but the test shots in the other report looked good. I have the Sigma 10-20 F/4-5.6 EX (15-30 equiv) and that is really nice. So the 17-20 (25-30 eq) bit is covered. I have a prime 50mm F/1.7 (75 equiv), so it's the 20-50 bit in between that is missing (30-75 equiv), which could be filled with a 35 prime. What a cunundrum. :)

I think I will take a long look at the new Sigma.............Mmmmm :D :D as that will save changing lenses too often.

Thanks for all of your comments.

9. John_Hine

John_Hine Well-Known Member

No, I did not try fine adjustment with the 17-70. I was put off by the warning in the manual. Being new to Pentax, I was perhaps over-nervous about "tampering". So maybe I could have got the 17-70 and the K-r to work together properly? I shall kick myself just a little over that as the SDM motor of the 17-70 is delightful and the focal length range perhaps more generally useful than that of the 16-45.

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

FWIW, David, I have yet to see one and have read/see an minimal amount of
    talk about it on any forums, aside from threads similar to this one :eek:

Nice in theory and, IMVHO, would be nice in fact if the price was shaved by
    about 20-25% :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

With the price of oil going through the roof (again) and that having its knock on affect on transport and manufacturing, I think the price reduction we would all love is as unlikely as me walking on the moon. :D

To be honest, I am quite pleased with my lenses, some of which are manual focus and superb performers, such as the 70-210 f/4 one touch zoom. The new Pentax 17-70 f/4 to replace my Sigma would be nice, but is not essential.

What I am really after, but they are like hens teeth is a Lee square 10 stop ND filter. I fancy having a go at soft milky water shots around the Norfolk coast. I know 'everyone' is doing it, but what the heck, one more won't hurt. :D

12. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

Well, we can always hope (Price Reduction) :) and, of course, if
    that happens you will have to Moonwalk like Michael Jackson :D :eek: ... :D

As for the ND filter .... why not pop on a bunch of Circular Polarisers or
    pick up a bunch of Cokins?

Cheers,

Jack

13. Monobod

I do have the Cokin Z Pro triple pack of ND's which came in a neat carry case with a holder and all.

These are the ND2, ND4 and ND8 ( 1 stop, 2 stops and 3 Stops.) and they can be stacked. I am not sure, but that should then give 6 stops reduction, but it is not as long an exposure as is possible with the Big Stopper (10 stops).

It just doesn't give the very smooth seas that I am looking for from, say. a half minute exposure.

Say we had a normal exposure of 1/500th at F/8, then 6 stops down would be 1/8th second at f/8. This could be reduced further to 1/2 second at f/16, or 1 second at f/22 . I hope I have got my sums right (Western Master V), but you can see that a further 4 stops would give me 8 seconds at f/16 or 16 seconds at f/22 , which most photographers using the big stopper seem to use as the aperture. And only one sheet of glass in front of the lens instead of three. :)

Quite a difference.

14. Done_rundleCams

Point, Game, Set and Match, Mista David :) and I have agree, one(1) piece
    of glass will definitely be better than three(3) pieces :D

Cheers,

Jack

15. lemmy

lemmy Member

I was looking for a walk around lens and saw the price of the 17-70mm.

So I bought a Panasonic GF1 instead. Much more convenient to carry around and therefore always with me wherever I go.

16. Monobod

You have a point, of course. But is it as good as the K-5, or as versatile. :D