1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Pentax 17-70 f/4

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

It is quite a bit dearer than the Sigma version, but does anyone know of a review of this lens. One would expect it to, but does it perform better than the Sigma?

Does anyone know if the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-3.5 is up to the resolution of the K-7 or k20D's 14.6Mp?

Any comment here would be welcome, as this zoom range is so useful and I am looking for a lens to give me better image quality.

The alternative of course is to go for a high qaulity prime somewhere in this range, but which one? :D

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Detailed review on SLRgear. In their "compared with" notes, they say the Sigma is better at controlling CA, but worse at vignetting. Sharpness is about the same.

Also Photozone review here.

Note that the Sigma is f/<u>4</u>.5 at the long end.

I'm very happy with the results from my DA40 Ltd on my K20D.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

4. Monobod

Thanks everyone for the info. I will read with interest. Sorry about the wrong aperture for the Sigma, should have looked at the lens instead of relying on a poor memory! :(

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I feel I need to check lens apertures every time I refer to them on the forum! :)

6. Monobod

From the reviews, it looks as though the Pentax lens is not that much better than the Sigma and considering the extra cost, for me at least, not worth the jump, as I already have the Sigma lens. If I were buying from scratch, then it might have been in the frame.

Your suggestion of the 40mm f/2.8 DA SMC limited lens seems to be a good alternative. At 60mm equivalent it should make a good all round lens and I am sure, being a quality prime, the performance will be well up to expectations. Also, relatively speaking of course at around £370, it is a lot of money not too pricey either by comparison, which is nice to know in these difficult times.

Before I decide, I will take some photos with my full frame Auto focus SMC FA 50mm f/1.7 that I bought used but mint from Ffordes some time ago. It is a lens that I have not used very much recently and not since I bought the 14.6Mp sensored body. I have only used this lens on the Z1-p film camera. It may well turn out to be the answer I am looking for. :)

None of us want to spend money for no real advantage. :(

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

We may not want to David, but we still do it all the same..

8. Monobod

Yes, just tell me about it. I have a cupboard full of the evidence! :D
    Guilty as charged M'lud!

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Want to share a cell...... :D

10. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Make room for another !! I looked at the 17-70 and a couple of others today, before deciding that the wide end was more important as I already have a 28-200 and going for the cheaper 16-45/4 instead!!

11. f0t0fan

f0t0fan Well-Known Member

Hi David

If you really are a compulsive spender I have the perfect answer for you. Buy both the 16/50 f2.8 and 50/135 f2.8 Pentax lenses. Keep one on the K7 and the other on the K20D.

You certainly wont find the quality lacking and your obsession will be stilled. At least until after Christmas.

Cheers

Ron D

12. Oggy

Oggy RIP

One drawback with that Ron - where do you put the DA*300?

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Easy .... on the third body :D

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Jack

14. Monobod

One way of re-cycling plastic bags. I sometimes have on on each foot as well in muddy situations! :D :D

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No faith in the Pentax WR? Shame on you. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. Monobod

No. I think perhaps he just was too embarrassed to be seen using a Canon, a Nikon and a Sony body in public! :D :D

17. simonkit

simonkit Member

Hi,

I don't post on here often but just read your thread & thought I might add something relevant...

I've previously owned the Sigma 17-70 & used it on both a GX10 (K10D) & my current K20D - it's definitely up to the job on both bodies infact it's an excellent lens and I found it produced great images.

I recently was offered a Pentax 17-70 at a good price and couldn't resist so for a short while owned both together. My thoughts on comparison are:

Sharpness - no real noticeable difference

Build quality - if anything the Sigma felt slightly better

Distortion - the Pentax has more at 17mm

Colour/contrast - this made me decide to keep the Pentax, I find the Pentax better in both respects and it just produces nicer looking images

I'd conclude by saying both are very good lenses and if budget is limited the Sigma is definitely worth buying. As I mentioned though I do find the pentax produces nicer colour/contrast, although this could just be personal preference.

Hope this helps

Simon

18. Monobod

Thanks.

19. Done_rundleCams

Kah-neechi-wah Zou_San :D

If I were living in the land of constant drizzle (Scotland) I would have no need
    to use the plastic bags :) but, where I live -- Vancouver -- it <u> REALLY RAINS</u> as
    you can see below:

[​IMG]

and these cases, the plastic bag is a "better safe than sorry" convenience :)

Cheers,

Jack

20. Done_rundleCams

Moi, embarrassed to use a Canon ... nope, that was my first digital --- well, a G2 :rolleyes: -- as for a
    Nikon ..... I have sold a bunch :eek: but never owned/shot with one. As for Sony, never sold one,
    never even shot with one :cool:

Cheers,

Jack