1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peaches Geldof - Dead!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fen, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

Just could not process this when I first heard it - totally shocked. My thoughts are with her family.

3. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite, in that I wasn't shocked at all. Her lifestyle meant that I was always expecting to see news announcing her premature death.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

Huh?

Her lifestyle was fairly normal. Media career failed marriage second marriage 2 kids. I know she partied hard as a teen but an awful lot of people do that and the last few years she has come across as very settled if a little too much earth mothering.

She was definitely not on my list of live hard die young.

5. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Do you not remember her Tweeting pictures of herself on heroin? Or when she had to be given CPR because she'd overdosed at a party? Or the car crash in America moments after Tweeting about how they were speeding?

I don't follow her career, so it was these elements of her lifestyle that led to my lack of surprise.

6. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Certainly a tragedy especially as she seemed to have grown up and was happy in her life. Like lots of young people that go off the rails and hey there must be a few of us on here with a checkered youth. I know I have had one. We don't know why she died so suddenly. Probably best not to think the worst of her. Thoughts are with her family.

7. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I know the D.M. has its detractors but I'm certain that many other media togs were on the scene - if not at the same time but very very soon afterwards. I blame those who buy the crappy publications that trade in sleb adoration.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

An opportunity to make a snide comment about the DM cannot be missed by some.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, looks like the BBC posted pics of the scene.....

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nor should it be, hateful rag.

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

And do you blame me? People seem to forget about the history of that 'newspaper' and I do use that term loosely.

12. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

An absolute tragedy, God rest her soul.

As for all you DM-haters, how come you know so much about the paper if you don't read it?

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Bit of a silly question really...

You don't have to read the DM to know the history of the DM.

And if you read it now, I'm sure that they don't promote their dark and nasty past. So reading it wouldn't give you the history of it would it!

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well of course the rest of the British press is saintly. They wouldn't lower themselves into practices such as phone hacking now would they?

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Or supporting Mosely, Mussolini or Hitler.

16. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

An opportunity to make a snide comment about the DM should not be missed by anyone.

17. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

You surely cannot equate what happened, and who supported whom, before the Second World War as being relevant to today, surely? Or are you all still living in the past, with the prejudices that were wholesale in the 1930s? Most daily newspapers have their points of view, be they left- or right-wing - some may even mention the Guardian or the Mirror as being the most left-wing newspapers in the country, or the BBC as being the most left-wing broadcaster in the country; but some of the contributors on this Forum never miss an opportunity to to have a go at the Mail.

OK, it is not perfect, and there are many pages that I do not read, but their journalists are rated some of the best in the country (if the Awards are anything to go by). So why don't you give it a rest, just for a change, eh?:)

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That is a sad remark.
    Peaches Geldof was a young woman with a family. She wasn't the sort of celeb of whom I am interested but she was a mother and daughter to people who are now grieving her. She may have had her weaknesses but we all have weaknesses. She wasn't a bad person but someone who had grown up in the public spot light with enormous personnel stresses. I find your attitude very cruel.

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Although I feel very sorry for her family, as sorry as I would feel for the family of just about anyone who died young, I can't help feeling that the only thing she was famous for was being famous: she doesn't really warrant being a headline story. I know someone who knew her well as a child (he was the same age) and he was deeply unimpressed. He has had little occasion to revise his opinion since.

It's a bit like the Pistorius thing. The daily "updates" always amount to the same thing: Reeva Steenkamp is still dead, and Pistorius is still a basket case.

The situation in eastern Ukraine is rather more important than any of those celebrities.

R.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That's very true Roger...however how many celebrities are involved?