1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

PC Speed! Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Craig20264, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Since installing windows 10, and installing Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, my PC is grinding to a halt. It's usable if I just have Lightroom open, but anything to do with Photoshop is a non starter. It's quite old and the specs are below. I'm guessing I need an upgrade, but I have no idea how much RAM I need to make it whiz along, or whether I need a separate graphics card? All advice gratefully recieved. If I can get a spec of you guys and girls, then I can set about getting a few prices together. Many thanks.

Ok, I'm having trouble uploading the file now!!!!! Give me a minute.

I give up. I'll list them.#

Installed RAM : 6GB
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    64 bit operating system

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

May I suggest that you visit https://uk.crucial.com/ and then scroll down to Scan Computer, this will load a piece of software that can determine what memory you have and how much it can take. The web page will then show you recommended packages to upgrade you RAM. I have to say that 6GB is not very much by current standards, my preference would be to get as much as your computer can take.

Craig20264 likes this.
  3. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

SIX GB of RAM, problem solved

4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

NO you do NOT need a separate graphic card, IF your motherboard has good inbuilt graphics, but even a reasonably cheap one would not do any harm.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

1. Always worth installing an up-to-date virus scanner and doing a full scan if a PC starts slowing down or behaving differently. Windows Defender comes with Windows 10 and should be enough, just make sure it's enabled and do a full scan.
    2. 6GB will be a challenge if you want to do Photoshop *and* something else or Lightroom *and* something else, but they should be mostly useable on their own. But, see 4 below.
    3. Don't find a spec and then get prices, it's a minefield. Instead, decide how much you can afford to spend, and then by the best machine for that price.
    4. Separate graphics cards can be useful, Lightroom now offloads some of the processing to the graphics card. The real problem with integrated cards is that some of your 6GB is actually allocated to the graphics card (most likely) and hence, your PC doesn't really have 6GB to dedicate to Lightroom. A separate card ensures that if you've got say 16GB RAM, the apps get all of that, while the 2 or 4GB (or whatever) on the graphics card are used exclusively for that purpose.

Craig20264 likes this.
  6. Craig20264

Cheers chaps.
    I've just done a scan via Mr Memory, and the scan is saying my machine has 4 GB installed. Which one to believe!

7. Craig20264

Just another quicky. What bearing does the processor have on speed/functionality? Do I need i5, i7 etc?

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

My pc only has a 2.71 GHz chip but has 8 GB of ram. I did install a ssd which certainly increased speed. It has no problem coping with W10, LR and PS.

9. EightBitTony

Processors matter, but these days, not as much as they used to. If you can afford an 8GB i7 machine or a 16GB i5, choose the 16GB i5, but if you can stretch to the 16GB i7 choose that, etc.

I still go for Intel rather than AMD, but these days it's probably less important than it used to be.

Get as big an SSD as you can afford.

I'd bet your current machine has 6GB of RAM physically present, with 4GB presented to the OS and 2GB reserved for video, at a guess (due to the onboard graphics card). 4GB is not enough to run Win 10 and big apps like Lightroom.

Craig20264 likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Computer speed depends on many different things: Processor clock speed, bus width, RAM capacity, RAM speed, Co-processor speed, disk access speed, blah, blah... Then there's the software you run on it.

11. Bazarchie

The newer chips are generally better.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly true but it is very complicated. A year ago I wondered about building a workstation to run some seriously heavy scientific code for my business. I got completely lost in the build your own pages for HP Z workstations. I won't post a link but I see they have all changed since I last looked. I decided that a) I'd never get the money back in new work and b) I'd probably need a computer room to deal with the heat and noise - they don't sit that happily and quietly in the corner.

Craig20264 likes this.
  13. Craig20264

Thank you everyone. It's all a bit clearer now, and explains why everything is crawling along. It looks like I can get a refurbished i5- 6 core, 16Mb RAM for between £350 - £400

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. EightBitTony

That should do the job. Try and make sure you get a solid state drive (SSD) for at least the OS disk, and if that's small, then a large regular spinning rust disk to go with it.

Craig20264 likes this.
  15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You might need 4 MB per core - but I’m not sure how it works or whether the apps you use will utilise all the cores.

Craig20264 likes this.
  16. Bazarchie

Seems like a good price. Do you get a warranty but no operating system or any other software? Is your W10 transferable?

17. Craig20264

Warranties vary from 3 months to a year. They come loaded with Windows 10 or Windows 10 pro.

Bazarchie likes this.
  18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My inclination would be to go for Windows 10 Pro

19. Bazarchie

I was thinking more i7 v i5 rather than than something that can control the space station!

Computers are a bit like cameras. What was great two years ago soon becomes out of date, but for most uses is still absolutely fine.

20. Bazarchie

Tony,

Does a SSD help the running of programs like LR and PS? In my limited experience, installing one on my all in one pc which does not have a graphics card resulted in vast improvement.