1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Paracord(ing)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pachinkofan, Mar 13, 2016.

1. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

Anyone else a fan? My girlfriend got a couple of books for Christmas and shared them on Kindle (family library, legit) and I've just started playing about with paracords but enjoying the little I've done so far

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is paracording a a new name for doing something traditional with nylon cord that we used to do with hemp cord, like making a woggle, or doing fancy rope decoration on the tiller of a barge as one proceeded at 2 mph down the canal? I genuinely don't know.

3. pachinkofan

It's just the fact it's parachute style cord. I remember a Scout sixer having a monkey's fist on his keyring. Just it's taken off in recent years with variations etc on YouTube and the like.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

New material but old pastime, and none the worse for that. I suppose that things like a Turk's head are a bit none PC in name, but still created in cord with a new name.

5. pachinkofan

Our 6er used to have one for his woggle.

6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I haven't the remotest idea what you are on about, but I will google it and get back to you. :)

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Ok, I've googled it and I'm definitely not a fan! Sorry. :)

8. pachinkofan

No worries. Have expanded to a Facebook page so will see how that takes off as an order to spec hobby.

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No idea about what you mean as a Turks Head, but we used to use a brush for cleaning the front of the barrel of a carbine that was called a Turks Head. PC'ness hit and we were no longer allowed to call them that. I couldn't even tell you what it's real name was.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think the pass time is, or was, called Macramé and involves making decorations using knots.
    I can still manage to make a monkeys fist when required.