1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic system camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by J H Foto, Dec 31, 2012.

1. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the information guy's, just got to sell a load of Canon gear now...

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Have you considered Olympus's PEN offerings? You may well find that they are lighter than Panasonic's.
    On my short holiday to Canada last Octoner I tool an E-PL3 with kit zoom plus Panasonic 45-200, instead of my Nikon D5100 + 16-85 plus 55-300. Saved a couple of kilos or more in weight and it took up far less space. Results were just as good IMHO, maybe better as I used the E-PL3 probably more that I would have used a "full blown" DSLR due to its smaller size/weight (fitted in a much smaller, discrete bag when I was out and about). I have subsequenly purchased the EVF for the Oly; I Understand that Olympus's additional lenses could be somewhat lighter than Panasonic's, although they seem to come without lens hoods

3. J H Foto

Done a little research and it looks like I will go for a Lumix G3 body with 14-140 and 100-300 lenses

4. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

G3 or do you mean GH3 ?

5. J H Foto

GH3................

6. thornrider

Should be very good then - equivalent of 28mm to 600mm in two lenses plus a much lighter body. A good choice in my opinion given your need to reduce weight.

7. J H Foto

Maybe the G5, which I was looking at today

8. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

I have that exact combination of lenses on a GF1. Excellent choice, as you know, it gives max cover for minimum no of lenses. There is a downside though - no fast lenses. I am considering buying a fast prime to remedy that - but it all depends on what type of photos you take.

The G5 has a better hand grip than the GF1 so should facilitate using the longer lens better.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll immediately discover the benefits of near DSLR quality with greatly reduced weight and size.

Regards, Mike

9. thornrider

Panasonic do a 12-35 f2.8, a 20 f1.7, a 25 f1.4, a 35-100 f2.8 power zoom, and a 40 f2.8 plus you can use Olympus lenses for micro 4/3 which include a 12 f2.0 and a 75 f1.8.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  10. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

What I meant was that neither of the lenses the OP is considering is fast.

Regards, Mike

11. ChrisCalvin

ChrisCalvin Well-Known Member

I have Panasonic Lumix G2. I like it a lot, good in action, compact. because its DSLR there is lot of handy functions, actually love the touch screen functions. travelling or just making photos handy everywhere. Use with different lenses and result is awesome. But choice the one you like.

12. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I presum you mean because it's NOT dSLR.

The G2 is a MFT mirrorless hybrid or CSC.