1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic system camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by J H Foto, Dec 31, 2012.

1. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

As I am getting older and suffering ill health I am thinking of selling my Canon camera and lenses to get a lighter Panasonic camera system camera and lenses. Your views please..?

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Are you talking a GF model or a GH/G model with EVF?

3. P_Stoddart

4. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

For what it's worth I have a Panasonic GX1 with the compact 14-42 zoom which I carry on my bike when a Nikon D700 and lenses is impossible to take. I find the GX1 to be very well built, takes surprisingly sharp pictures even at 800 ISO, and has a satisfying real camera feel. There are much bigger Panasonic micro 4/3 bodies like the G5 but this then seems to be getting back towards the DSLR size again. If I had my time over again I would look at the Fuji XE1 too but then this is more expensive than the Panasonic GX1 - but maybe is better instead of a DSLR rather than just as well as a DSLR which is what you are considering.

5. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

M4/3 may be a good choice, it is certainly much more compact, but coming from a Canon DSLR you need to consider:

With/without viewfinder?

With/without hot shoe?

With/without swivel screen?

Will you need to use the hot shoe and viewfinder together? If so, you need G or GH series. GF and GX models cannot use both at the same time.

I am happy with a 3-year-old GF1 + LVF1 and two lenses. Between them, they cover everything from 28mm - 600mm (equiv), and each lens fits into a coat pocket, though not mounted.

I've found a couple of niggly things about the GF1.

• Insufficient handgrip, so holding in one hand feels a bit risky.
    • AF speed could be better.
    • LVF1 viewfinder could be better, but the swivel is great for tripod use - looking down into viewfinder instead of getting on bended knee.
    • Nice solid sounding but noisy shutter frightens birds and tells everyone you are shooting.

The newer GX1 has better AF speed, better viewfinder and marginally larger handgrip.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Mike

6. P_Stoddart

Have you explored using a EVF over the OVF?

I cannot imagine using a camera without a eye level finder.

I only use the back for over head shots or tripod stuff, like long exposure.

7. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Not sure who this is addressed to, or whether I have misunderstood, but AFAIK, no Panny m4/3 camera has an OVF.

I use an eye-level EVF (LVF1 on GF1) for the same reasons. I wouldn't like a camera that only has a rear screen, and certainly not with a long lens attached

Regards, Mike

8. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

For what it is worth I tried the Panasonic GX1 with the new 14-42mm power-zoom lens and a eletronic viewfinder. I must admit that I was supprised, it was actually rather good I would even say great, fast sharp and fun and the EVF was actually usefull. Defenetly something I would look into if I would give up my SLR the only bad thing is the rather high price...

9. thornrider

The price of the GX1 with power zoom is now about £520 and other small non-DSLR's are making this seem pretty cheap. Mine is fantastic as a second camera when small and portable is required.

10. P_Stoddart

Did not make myself clear there. :eek:

I was raising if the OP has explored the EVF on say G/GH model or the add on to see if it works for them having been used to OVF.

Some OVF users have commented they just don't like EVFs at all. :(

I have used both and have not had a problem. If anything I am EVF fan as you get loads of info through them.

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I am one of those... That is why I was very suprised by how well the ,clip on, viewfinder worked on the GX1. When I put it on I was sure I would not like it, but I have to admit that the EVF has come a long way in the last few years.

£520 it has come down a bit then... I Rememberd it being closer to £800 with the power zoom and the clip on viewfinder.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  12. thornrider

Now down to £480 in one retailer and £530 in a few others according to Camera Price Buster - but the EVF would be extra. Some of the magazine tests complicated the issue by quoting only RRP which made it look horrifically expensive it is true. I bought it at £579 plus (or should be minus) £50 cashback at which price the Sony RX100 looked very bad value for money - no interchangeable lens and a tiny sensor in comparison.

13. P_Stoddart

Well I think it is the same res EVF used by Panasonic in the G3 etc.

Interestingly it is not the highest res one in a camera. The Sony NEX7/A65/A77 has that.

3 million dots should be out there during 2013 if not more.

I've seen the A77 one it's really good. :)

So if you started out not liking EVFs and can work with the 1.44 one from Panasonic then maybe the issue is dying out. :rolleyes: :D

14. RogerB

RogerB Well-Known Member

The G3 with 14-42 lens is a great entry point at the moment - only £320 at Jessops. I've used one for the past 18 months, having sold my Canon 5D, and really enjoyed it. Only problem for me was that it was a bit too small for my (big) hands. Even so, I've had a lot of very nice A3 prints from it.

15. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

I got the G3 too, and also find it a great little camera to use. The kit lens is as good as if not better than my Nikon kit lens too. The 20mm 1.7 lens is a belter for the price.

16. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Why not consider the Canon EOS M and, with the adaptor, use yur current EF lenses?

17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Panny GX1 currently available in sale at Currys or PC World for £349; unfortunately £50 cashback finished 31/12/12. I suspect camera will be around for a bit before GX2 arrives, so you may get a second bite at this price around Easter.

Have you thought about Olympus, JH? The OM-D EM-5 is expensive but you may wish to consider it if battery & firmware issues are now sorted. The Pen EP3 is maintaining its relatively high price but that's another one to think about; you may wish to consider the smaller ones in the family. You can always use Panny lenses on them.

Compared to a full DSLR, the G series Ereflexes {maybe that should be eyeflexes? :confused::eek:} are tiny. I have been a bit tempted as the G3 Olympic had been around at £299 and someone (Park?) still has them at £320. I really want flatter and more pocketable though.

My ideal second camera is still a dream. When it comes it may be just what you need as a first camera: 4/3 sensor, MFT mount, optical finder covering 28-84, possibility of EVF attachment finder for other focal lengths & similar size to Olympus Trip 35. :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  18. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Views: Is it just size that is important, or weight? If it's size, Bawbie's suggestion of the EOS-M plus adapter is surely worth serious consideration.

19. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

Weight is my problem rather than size..........

20. thornrider

I think, as a user of both DSLR and a Panasonic CSC, the conclusion must be that you will save huge amounts of weight but by having a CSC instead of a DSLR you will be able to see the difference in results if you look really hard. However, I see my best photo opportunities when I am out on a bike and then it is a case of only being able to have the CSC with me - if in your case you have stopped taking the DSLR with you because of the weight then the Panasonic CSC will be very good for you and you will be pleased with it's pictures.