1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Lumix LX100 - [AF-ON] or [AF/AE LOCK]?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by ChrisNewman, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Hi,

Wanting a compact camera that showed information in its viewfinder, to take when it’s not convenient to carry my Nikon D800, I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix LX100. I’m now trying to find the settings that will work best for me.

With previous digital cameras, I have set the [AF/AE LOCK] button to [AF LOCK] so that I can hold the focal distance of something outside the AF region of the frame (I use exposure bracketing, so holding the shutter button halfway does not retain focus after the first exposure). But the LX100 can focus on any point in the frame, and seems to do so very competently, so I wasn’t using the button for that.

I noticed that the button could be set to [AF-ON]. My D800 has a dedicated [AF-ON] button that does pretty much the same as pressing the shutter button halfway, so I find it convenient to stab at the [AF-ON] button when setting up shots, to avoid the annoyance of inadvertently taking a shot by pressing the shutter button too hard. But even when set to [AF-ON], the [AF/AE LOCK] button on the LX100 doesn’t do useful things such as waking the camera from sleep mode or taking it out of the menu.

With the button set to [AF/AE LOCK], pressing it will focus the lens and display the ISO sensitivity that Auto ISO will use. I have never yet wanted to lock exposure before taking a shot (although I am aware of circumstances when that is appropriate). I have the button set to operate only whilst pressed, not to toggle its function on or off. As I want the button to simulate as many of the effects of pressing the shutter button halfway as I can, are there any circumstances when pressing it and releasing it before a shot when it is set to [AF-ON] will achieve something that setting it to [AF/AE LOCK] will not?

With thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

For a static subject focussing on a subject by pressing and releasing AF-on will be the same as AF-lock. The operational differences would be that with the AF-Lock you need to keep the AF-Lock pressed but AF-on you can release it and concentrate only on the shutter button and some people may find this more comfortable.

AE-on is often used by action photogrpahers (sport or wildlife) to have AF tracking assigned to a separate button than the shutter release. So AE-on would also be more flexible if you want to go from focus-recompose to focus tracking without changing any functions.

3. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike, I was aware of that. Currently I don’t want to use AF tracking separately from the shutter button (if I did, I would develop the technique with my D800 first). I just find the AF-ON button on my D800 very convenient because it replicates most or all of what pressing the shutter button halfway does, without the possibility of accidentally firing the shutter. On the LX100 AF/AE Lock, AF Lock or AF-ON all serve equally well to bring the view into focus, and AF/AE Lock or AE Lock display the ISO sensitivity that Auto ISO will use. Unless or until I want to use the button on the LX100 to lock focus, lock exposure or track, I just want it to replicate as much as possible of what happens when I press the shutter button halfway. But I’m not aware of lists of such functions that would let me make an informed choice, so I’m looking for anyone’s experience in the area.

Chris