1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by DanielH, Nov 13, 2011.

1. DanielH

DanielH Member

Hi,

I have just ready some early reviews regarding the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1.

As I am quite new to photography can anyone clarify whether the DMC-GX1 will be a better a camera than the DMC-G3.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Without knowing how you define 'better' - no. The G3 does several things the GX1 cannot (articulated screen, EVF etc), and the GX1 offers features the G3 doesn't (more direct controls etc).

You really should try them side by side in store, but first work out what features you really need and then try to 'use' the cameras in store as you would out and about. There's no benefit to having a technically 'better' camera if you can't get it to work the way you want effortlessly.

3. DanielH

DanielH Member

Thanks Zou.

I am currently using a DMC-FS6 so any of the two will be better. As I have gained a strong interest in photography I would like to upgrade.I will probably go for a mirrorless camera as I am not keen on carrying a chunky DSLR camera around. Having said that I find the DMC-G3 bigger than expected.

I did some research regarding mirrorless camera and so far am not really convinced of any of the cameras in this area (Nikon 1 J1, Lumix G3, etc.) Now that the GX1 will be released soon I was wondering if this might be the mirroless camera of choice?

4. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

I have a GF1 and love it, but could not do any serious photography without the optional EVF, which I have. I think the same would go for the GX1, which then adds bulk and considerable cost to the package. If you are thinking of ever using a long lens on it, you will need the EVF. In which case a G3 is far more practical - in my humble opinion.

Regards, Mike

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

My understanding is that it carries the same sensor as the G3.

I think the GH2 is still the flagship m43 for Panasonic.

It is open for debate because the noise ceiling seems to be higher the newer G3. But the GH2 does 5fps instead of 4fps.

I use a EVF and it works for me especially in strong light. The newer ones are now having such good res.

So I think the GX1 is for those who want the G3 sensor but not that style or function of camera.

But you need to work out what kind of photography you are going to be chasing after mainly then see if the GX1 is enough for it.

6. DanielH

DanielH Member

Well, I would use the camera for private pleasure only that means travelling, city breaks, countryside, buildings, people etc. Ideally the camera should be not too big. My budget is around 500-600 pounds. I am a beginner.

Initially I was thinking about the Nikon D3100 but am a bit put off by its size. As I made good experiences with my current Lumix compact camera I thought I may stick with the brand but would move to its mirrorless section.

I assume the G3 and the GX1 would be good enough for my purposes. The G3 is just much chunkier but I get the point regarding EVF. Just thinking if I was going for the G3 that I then could almost go for the Nikon D3100 considering its sizes. The GX1 in contrast is very small but one still takes decent photos with it.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The GF1 with kit zoom is very similar in size to my Pentax K100D DSLR. It is smaller in every dimension but in terms of bulk there is not much in it at all. You may be surprised how chunky the GX1 actually is.

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

You might want to consider a highend compact possibly like the new X10 from Fuji.

It has 1/1.5" sensor which seem to perform quite well upto 800ISO.

We had a similar discussion on here about m43 and dSLR a couple of months ago.

I came to the conclusion after review weight specs that dSLR have been on a diet :)

And possibly m43 with EVF are getting abit fat. Because it a tight thing these days.

When you want reach and weight saving a m43 might work in keeping lens wieght down. But doing high focal length photography on a m43 without a EVF and using a backscreen seems questionable. Others might be happy doing it. I have to say I not a big fan of backscreen photography only when doing long exposures probably because I have got into the habit of having a camera upto my eye for most of my shots.

One plus I have found with EVF based cameras is that you can review using the EVF without changing your stance.

On mine you can have 1 second review of the last shot. I use my other eye to monitor what going on will glancing at the last shot.

Hope this helps. :)