1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by tomix, Apr 15, 2013.

1. tomix

tomix Member

hi can anyone give any info on the lumix dmc -fz200, i was talking to two guys with them yesterday both raved about it,but would like more opinions as regards quality of images once downloaded and printed,they both said as good as any dslr they both had,but they admitted they where both amatuers and wanted to have just one overall camera to do most things ie landscape portrait and general images but with good quality, thank you tom.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome and first here is AP review.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compacts/129351/1/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200-review

The FZ200 is a classed as bridge camera because it sits between a low end compact and full dSLR hence bridging the gap.

The unique thing about the FZ200 is the constant wide f stop across zoom range. F2.8.

Most bridge cameras have the f stop narrow or value climb as you zoom in thus the light going into the camera drops forcing a rise in ISO setting or slower shutter.

Bridge have two issues, low light performance and depth of field struggles to be shallow. This is because of sensor size.

For certain subjects the FZ200 might struggle, like action wildlife where fast precise AF is needed.

But I have done airshows with bridge cameras and even a Panasonic lumix FZ50 a older model with quite some success.

See if you can find a shop where you can play with this model.

3. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

by all means play around with one, but it won't compete with an slr for several reasons, many of which have nothing to do with image quality or pixel counts etc.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. tomix

tomix Member

thank you for replies,
    and lfc1892 your photo's are very good,ive decided and bought a nikon d3200 so hope i can be somewhere as near as good as you guys and girls in time,