1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic lenses upgrade, please help

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Alessandro, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Alessandro

Alessandro New Member

Hello, I'd like to have an advice about a lenses' upgrade.

I've got an Olympus OM EM10 MkII and some old Panasonic lenses (14-45, 45-200) which I'd like to upgrade, but I'm uncertain whether to stick with Panasonic (and choosing the 12-35 and 35-100, both 2.8) or switching to Olympus, with its Pro series, 12-40 and 40-150 2.8 lenses.

Disregarding the price, what solution do you think can deliver better performance in the real world photography? I looked at the reviews on Photozone and Lenstip, but I found the image resolution charts quite contradictory, so I'd be grateful if someone could share their experience with those lenses.

Many thanks,
    Alessandro

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've used both those lenses extensively and there's nothing wrong with either of them. What makes you think that spending a lot of money on more expensive lenses will improve the final pictures?

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

What do AP reviews say? Few people take pictures of lens charts to hang on the wall. Charts provide some information but what counts is how the lens renders the subjects you want to photograph.

4. Alessandro

Alessandro New Member

Yes, I agree with you both. Anyway such f/2.8 lenses are obviously better than mine for faster AF in low light. Also, their overall IQ is higher, they come with weather sealing, and additional features, even if they (the latter) work better, or only, in combination with their own make of camera.
    I'm not despising my current lenses, they're nice and light, but one may want something better.
    For the standard zoom, I think I'll go for the Olympus 12-40, for the telezoom I'm still uncertain. I find 100mm to be a little short on the tele side, does anybody know if it's possible to connect the Olympus 1.4x TC to the Panasonic 35-100? This way, I'd get a great and light combo.

5. Andrew Flannigan

"Better" is an interesting term in this context. Among my full frame Canon kit I have an L-series f2.8 70-200mm lens. Image quality is very nice and the mechanical operation is 1st class. The problem is the thing is so big and heavy it only makes sense on my 1Ds-II so it only comes out when I have a very specific need. I also have a Sigma 28~300mm which is probably not considered a particularly good lens by the GAS crowd. On the other hand when fitted to a 5D it gives me a comfortably portable full frame equivalent to a bridge camera. I take many dozens more pictures through the Sigma than the Canon. It's your money but don't fool yourself that expensive kit will make you a better photographer - it almost certainly won't.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

GAS crowd?

Comparing a full frame canon with m4/3 you have to remember that the results you see from m4/3 for a similarly framed subject are enlarged. The smaller format is more testing.

7. Andrew Flannigan

= Gear Aquisition Syndrome = "Ooh shiny - must have that" :cool: