1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic G2 - any tips?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've been approached by a neighbour (who used to develop his own films some years ago, and who knows about apertures and shutter speeds etc.) saying he'd like some help understanding his recently purchased G2. I've learnt that it's an EVIL SLR but apart from that I know nothing. (Canon 5D etc. for me.)

My neighbour says he can't make any sense of it, nor its operation/interface. Could there be some factory default I need to know about? Is the manual understandable?

(I've looked at the DPReview about it, but that seems keen on telling me the differences between the G2 and the earlier G1, so isn't as much help as I hoped.)

Many thanks

2. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Why doesn't he bring the manual round for you?

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks, Brian.

I had planned to visit my neighbour and (hopefully) manage to explain matters, but it now looks as though the death of a close family member has changed his priorities.

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Many thanks for the link to the manual, which I've now downloaded, and is obviously going to need some study!

6. JohnATR

JohnATR Member

What is he struggling with? The interface seems quite intuitive to me. If he wants to control both aperture and shutter use M. to set aperture and let camera pick shutter set to A. To set shutter speed and let camera pick aperture set to S. and P sets the camera to pick both settings based on lighting.

switch the dial from single shot to multi shot for burst, switch it to the multi-shot but with +- for exposure bracketing, which can be changed by pressing quick menu.

on the left hand side, switch the dial to what sort of focus point you want based on the little image. 9point, central point, tracking or face detection. switch to AFS for auto focus on half press of shutter. AFC for continuous focusing, and MF for manual.

Id have thought as a user of the Canon it shuldnt take too long to understand it. I think the Tv, Av or whatever they are on a canon are the PASM settings.

Use the little thumb wheel to adjust the setting such as shutter speed, then depress it to switch to a different setting which will be highlights in yellow.

I havent really used any of the pre-sets like portrait, scene etc. I have this camera and think ive got to grips with it so let me know how you get on when he's in a better situation.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks for your help - I've no idea when (or if) I'll be approached again by my neighbour. I suspect they're away at the funeral at the moment.

From my own experience, I started on DSLRs with an Eos 10D after having a film Eos 3 for several years, and I had no problems whatsoever. At the same time, my daughter got an Eos 300D which has the same sensor as the 10D - could I understand how to use it? No way. I was totally thrown by the "simplification"!

Similarly I don't understand why my 50D in one of its (simpler?) modes puts aperture & shutter info etc. on the rear panel. The top panel is the place for that information in my opinion. Glad I don't work in a camera shop or for a camera magazine.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  8. JohnATR

JohnATR Member

Ah I can image that these more simple cameras that dont have duel displays might be troublesome to the pro :p

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Re: Not a Panasonic G2 - it's a G10!

The camera (mentioned in the thread above) and complete kit with Instruction Manual was delivered to me yesterday, and it turned out to be a G10. Seems quite similar to the G2.

I think I've discovered why my neighbour was having trouble. Somehow the camera was stuck on "raw only" images, and the SDXC card is 8GB which my PC won't accept. (And his won't either.) My first attempt to have jpegs as well failed, but I've now got that sorted. So, whilst he could see images on the LCD he had no jpegs to look at on his computer.

I installed the Silypix application, copied his raw images to my HDD via the USB lead, and have now made jpegs from all his raw images, and the camera is now taking jpegs - a word which Panasonic don't use on their LCD. Instead they have a special symbol needing reference to the manual to understand what it means.

The LCD seems quite good, but the electronic viewfinder makes those in my camcorders seem marvellous in comparison. (And one of these is a 10 year old Panasonic!)

I'm going to have fun trying it properly later today.

Thanks to all who helped.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

"Not a Panasonic G2 - it's a G10"

Your neighbour clearly thinks in binary