1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic FZ1000...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by S1MON, Jun 3, 2021.

1. S1MON

S1MON Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic FZ1000, the release date was June 2014, has there been much change in sensor technology since then? Would I be better off buying something more recent?

I used to have an FZ20 which was brilliant for the time, I loved the simplicity and found as a casual photographer I took more creative photos with that than I've ever managed with DSLRs.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The main technology change has been that the on-sensor AF has caught up/exceeded that of DSLRs. How much this has trickled down to Bridge cameras I don’t know. We have a Sony RX-10 iii, which is in the same sort of market as the Fz1000/2000. The RX-10 iv is reported to have vastly improved AF. If it matters to you (doesn’t much matter if you are interested in photographing things that stand still) you had better investigate and try one out.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I took a long, hard look at the FZ1000 and then got a second hand Sony A65 body with a Tamron 16-300mm. Bigger sensor, nicer finder and screen, more pixels. A little bit bigger and heavier but it suits me. Some pictures...

Bicycle with big tyres and trailer in Exeter A65 DSC02564.JPG
    MGB sports car Langport A65 DSC02605.JPG
    Halifax bomber at Yorkshire Air Museum A65 DSC02648.JPG DSC02648.JPG
    Seagull on street light A65_DSC03300.JPG

4. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I had it’s predecessor, very light and versatile but let down by the small sensor. the LX100 is wider with a larger sensor and smaller size. The mk 11 is even better, with higher resolution.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought the FZ 1000 had a 1” sensor. That would be another tech change, using larger sensors in bridge cameras.

6. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

The LX100 has a 3\4 sensor, so is bigger. I found it unfeaseable to crop and ended up FF with a D800.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I have the FZ1000 and have always been extremely pleased with its results. I also have cameras ranging from compacts to full frame.

Of course a full frame or cropped sensor camera in theory is capable of technically better images, but do you always need those technically better images? What are you going to do with those images? I’ve entered 16x12 images into competitions taken with the FZ1000 with no loss of quality either in sharpness, clarity or noise.

Also would you be more likely to have a bridge camera with its 24-400mm lens with you, or a heavier more cumbersome dSLR with 2-3 lenses? Maybe you could go onto the internet and Google the size & weight of the FZ1000 then compare with the size & weight of a camera body plus the additional lenses you’d want. Cost of course is important. I would imagine you can get the FZ1000 for a good price. How much for a SLR body plus 2-3 lenses?

Whenever I go walking, it’s the FZ1000 I usually take with me.

8. Andrew Flannigan

...or, in my case, a not so much heavier, not much more cumbersome, APS 24MP camera with the equivalent of a 24~450mm lens and the option of a 15~30mm (equivalent) ultrawide?

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

But still heavier and still more cumbersome. If that’s not an issue to you then that’s ok.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Indeed. When size and weight are important, one of these gives me 24-400mm equivalent in my pocket...

Cameras Sony HX90 and Panasonic TZ70 DSC01601.JPG