1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Panasonic DMC-LX7 problems

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by F0t0123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. F0t0123

F0t0123 New Member

Hi,

Have just purchased an LX7 and absolutely hate it! It seems incapable of taking photos where there is any brightness across the scene and a darker centre of the image without leaving a pale circle in the middle of the image. It's clearly the aperture as it only appears on the screen when the shutter is half pressed and the size of it can be changed by adjusting the aperture ring. Forget taking indoor photos if there is light from a window in the shot and forget taking landscape photos if the sky is bright even if the sun is behind you. Either this is a fault or this camera is virtually unusable in a host of situations. I simply cannot believe that no reviews I have read would mention such a car crash fault so can only assume the worst. I am also shocked that any review would even mention this camera in the same breath as a DSLR. You might as well compare a child's trike with a motorcycle. I feel duped!

Here's a couple of examples of poor photos: Check out the pale purple spot in the centre of the image. I've only taken about 30 shots and it's in a high percentage of them. It's not the clearest example I have, but though I'd add this one as the sun isn't even in the frame.
    [​IMG]
    This second shot is admittedly a tricky high contrast one, but is this amount of purple fringing normal?
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully some of you LX7 users can offer me some feedback.
    Thanks, Richard.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Looks like flare in the first one but I don't think I have seen an example like that before. Not sure where in the second you mean - I can't see anything glaring.

3. F0t0123

F0t0123 New Member

Hi there,
    Thanks for the response.
    Yes I would agree it's flare, but it is just so extreme. My phone takes better photos! Why wouldn't an issue like this be mentioned in at least one of the dozens of reviews I read before purchasing this?! Everyone seems to rave about this camera and there are quite a few alleged DLSR users who claim it's almost as good. It's hard not to suspect that marketing staff from Panasonic are using forums to plug their wares as this camera is not even remotely on a par with a DLSR. Not by a million miles! I have never been so disappointed with a purchase in my life. Yes probably fool me for having high expectations, but that's the impression I formed from a week of reading reviews and "user comments".
    I'm off on holiday in 3 weeks and this was supposed to replace the DSLR kit that I sold. What have I done?!
    I have also just discovered the downside to buying from Hong Kong!
    Richard.
    The second photo is an illustration of Purple fringing rather than the flare spot problem.

4. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

You've made a mistake :(
    I've just come back from a week's holiday in Chicago and I lugged around my D7000, Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 18-270. A baby changing (shoulder) bag made a fairly innocuous way of carrying round the kit without drawing too much attention to myself, and I'm sure that the results I got were far better than if I had used a P&S, even an expensive P&S.

I suggest that you buy a DSLR and a couple of lenses before you go away; I traded in my old D80 + lens to get the D7000 and am well pleased with the outcome

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Richard,

Can't see any purple fringing in the second shot which looks otherwise OK to me. The first may not be flare as the sun was obviously not shining at the time the frame was taken! It appears to be lighting the clouds from the r/h side so that, almost square, patch could be something else.

You don't provide any exposure mode, exp. correction details, which would help. I find I need to dial in -2/3 or -1 stop when I shoot digital in my usual aperture priority mode.

Do shots of a piece of plain black, grey & white paper, individually and then together with the grey in the middle. Try and do it indoors with the 'set' lit from a window 45 degree to front. Shoot in each of the modes and bracket the resulting shots, say plus & minus two stops, at 2/3 stop intervals.

This should provide clues as to the 'patch' and your exposure set-up.

Oly

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sorry I meant I did not see any glaring problem with purple fringing in the second photo - poor choice of words. The suggestion to try some test shots on an evenly illuminated grey card to see if the bright spot repeats is a good idea. You could try asking the manufacturer, even though it was bought outside of UK distribution channels they might show goodwill. Are you using any kind of filter? it might be an internal reflection.

8. F0t0123

F0t0123 New Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the feedback. After a bit of searching I've discovered that I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem. The jury is out on whether this is just a specific batch of these cameras or if they are all like that. It appears the problem is related to using aperture priority and small apertures. It's very easy for me to reproduce the effect. Even the light from a computer monitor is enough. I can change the size of the spot by turning the aperture ring from f8 to f4 where the spot is enlarged enough to be so diffuse as to be virtually unnoticeable. The general advice seems to be to not use apertures smaller than f4! Seems a bit of a cop out to me that half the f range is not usable in bright conditions especially as it's the part of the range that you would want to use in bright conditions. Perhaps that's why they have included an ND filter. Am going to find a local camera shop with an LX7 and see if it has the same problems. Will post my results.
    Cheers,
    Richard.

9. Billt

Billt New Member

Hi Richard
    I found this thread due to having the exact same problem with my LX 7 which I have just bought on 21st December. So thanks for the thread.
    I still have a month with which to decide whether or not to keep the camera as i bought it from John Lewis. I have already tried 2 of these cameras and they have both shown the identical defect, so on a positive note you can at least say that the build is consistent! !
    I am wondering if you have managed to find out anything more about the mystery purple circle in the centre of shots using small apertures.
    I found that using ND filter helped but of course you end up with a doubled shutter speed, not always ideal.
    I have contacted Panasonic support about this but have not had a reply yet.
    I also looked into changing to a Sony rx100 m2 but it's a hell of a hike in price.
    I have to say that other than the purple spot problem i really like the LX7.
    If you've found out anything else I'd be grateful for more information.
    Best wishes
    Bill

10. F0t0123

F0t0123 New Member

Hi Bill,

Yes, Panasonic have been absolutely pathetic in their response to this. It's a clearly documented issue, but they are unwilling to admit to the issue.

Coming from an SLR, I was slow to realise that f4 on a compact is not nearly the same as an SLR. I have been unable to determine the exact corresponding f stop, but have found that I can shoot 99% of my images below f4 and still get adequate depth of field. I've taken hundreds of photos with it on holiday and been overall happy with the results now that I've adjusted my expectations from expecting SLR and L lens results. Most of the time it does a great job and I've certainly benefited from getting more shots due to the convenience of it's small size. I hope you have found likewise.
    Best regards,
    Richard.

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Might be good to ask for your money back sooner rather than later.