1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMC LX5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Tony Everett, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Tony Everett

Tony Everett Active Member

Would be interested in hearing views on one of these cameras. Especially the use of RAW format ans the software that comes with it.

Many thanks...

2. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

To get the ball rolling… the AP review

3. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

4. photogeek

photogeek Well-Known Member

Do not have an LX5 but do have an LX3 for the times I do not want to lug a big kit with me, such as at gigs. The LX3 is great, but would love the extra zoom range of the LX5 and the option to have an EVF

Example Pics from LX3 from Manics gig below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

5. Tony Everett

Tony Everett Active Member

Thanks to you all for the input. I made the decision to buy it, but haven't had a chance to use it in anger yet. I got it so I could carry it with me all the time. The one thing I have had a look at is the RAW conversion software that doesn't seem to be as good as the Sony I currently use, but it's early days!

6. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

You'll be pleased to know that there is new firmware coming out on 13 Sept that promises to address some users gripes, mainly the AF speed and the high-ISO noise reduction.

7. PeterThomson

PeterThomson Member

The LX5 takes great shots and packs a serious punch into a small body. But the sensor is in the end still a point-and-shoot sized sensor. You would do well to at least look at the Panasonic and Olympus range-finder styled micro four thirds cameras.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Too late - you've bought it! Hope you are/will be pleased and think you will be if my experience of an LX2 is anything to go by. Am very pleased with that although it does have a couple of limitations: not too good at street photography in very sunny contrasty situations from the lack of an optical or EVF - and - flash in A mode can be difficult to produce good results. Anything bright fools the metering and you get a horribly underexposed result. Program seems to do better.

The quality feel of the camera and the image look and quality is great. :) Don't use the software much, merely to produce a RAW conversion. Annoyingly it posts everything into 'Shared Pictures' and I haven't discovered how to stop that. Also the Lumix software opens when I try to download Nikon or Olympus files - that's a real pain - and I haven't found how to stop that either! :(