1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic announces the DMC-L1 Four Thirds System Digital SLR

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by ElectricPics, Feb 26, 2006.

1. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

Looks somewhat similar to the Oly E-330, which of course it is.
    Press release here

Also announced is the new optically stabilised Leica Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm. Details here. No doubt the big question will be "Will it work on Oly DSLRs?".

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It has to, according to the 4/3 spec. But the big question is actually - who really designed it.....

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

P.S. At the moment, it's just a non-functioning dummy.

4. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

Good point - I keep forgetting that 4/3 is actually a standard. I suspect the lens is like the other "leica" lenses in Panasonics - all designed and made in Japan with a licence from Leica to use their technology.

5. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Yes, but to get Leica's pemission to use their name on it, the lens must meet their exacting standards (see Paul's post in the Leica room). I don't doubt they will have had a degree of design input

6. TimF

Here's DPR's News Item on the camera. Its a rather ugly brute at first appearance! The blurb about full time viewing on the LCD had me worried there wasn't going to be a real viewfinder. There is, but the styling is more rangefinder-ish, a la Digilux 2, but with interchangeable glass.

7. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hmmm, strangely enough I quite like it, as you say it's kind of rangefinderish, very clean from the front and dwarfed by the lens. Is the viewfinder a through the lens optical or projected/transmitted to a small LCD?

Richard

8. TimF

Its not especially clear, but I think it can be either. There seems to be a mirror-up mode which allows the viewing to be full-time on the rear LCD. The other finder is presumably optical.

I just had a look at the top view photo. The speed dial has an odd layout, running from 1/4000th down to 1/15th (in 1/3rd stop rests), and then a position marked 8-30s/B. Quite how that works, and whether its user friendly or not will have to be seen.

9. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to get my head around this LCD screen/ finder blah blah etc on the Olympus E-330 either but I would think that they're both the same, whatever that might be. I'd like to see it in the flesh so to speak.

Richard

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, it's still likely to be a while - the one at PMA is a mock-up.

11. TimF

12. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that Tim,

the lens compatability issue was something I'd wondered about, I'd mentioned it in the News section. This more or less confirms what I thought re. Leica lenses on Olympus bodies but Although it shows Zuiko E-Series lenses on the Panasonic it doesn't explain how the aperture is set. What would be your take on it?

Cheers, Richard

13. TimF

Richard,
    Without taking a look at the thing its difficult to have any opinion which isn't blind guesswork. However, if we return to the DPR announcement, there are several pictures of the beast which can be clicked on for a bigger view.

This one, for instance, shows the top view. On the speed dial is an A setting, which I would imagine the dial is set to for Program (in conjunction with the lens aperture ring being also set to "A") and Aperture Priority modes. If its desired to shoot in Shutter Priority, presumably the lens ring is set to "A", so the speed can then be selected on the dial as usual. For manual, both are left free floating.

This second picture of the camera rear shows a small wheel to the right of the LCD screen. This is interesting, as one use could be for Program Shift, and/or for controlling the aperture on lenses which lack the mechanical ring, ie, the Olympus 4/3rds glass. I expect it is also used in review mode, maybe for zooming in?

14. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

I think you may be right Tim. Of the 4 buttons on the R/H side of the Screen the top one seems to have an aperture like Icon, adjacent to the wheel you mention. I know in the spec box it states, Aperture - Auto/Manually selectable on Leica D Lens. What I didn't notice was the the Title above the spec box says

Panasonic DMC-L1 specifications (so far)

Thank for the info, Richard

15. TimF

Yes, that button caught my eye. I wondered if it is the DoF preview though, as I can't see one on the camera front anywhere (the visible button adjacent to the lens throat - front view, right side - is obviously the lens release).

16. TimF

17. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

The DP Now report has been updated, see link below.

http://dpnow.com/2510c.html

The following refers to a statement by Leica at the PMA regarding the possibility of producing a DSLR

Richard

18. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

I like the look of the thing, not unlike the E300 which I also liked and enjoyed using. I can't help but wonder if Konica Minolta missed a trick by not developing its own four thirds model.

19. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome,

I like the look myself and the control layout, shutter speed/aperture, very trad :D

Richard

20. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi Tim,

looks like you were right, the button seems to be DOF.

See Here

Notice the System Chart lists the Olympus ZD lenses and the Sigma 4/3rds lenses.

Looks good,IMO, Richard