1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 45-200mm in real world use?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Staropramen, May 2, 2011.

1. Staropramen

Staropramen Well-Known Member

Does anyone have observations on the performance of the Panasonic Vario 45-200mm please?

Web-wisdom suggests it's not quite as sharp as the 14-45mm Panasonic (not surprising), but that overall it seems a well behaved if unexceptional lens. I have tried several manual focus primes and zooms, but they are a real fiddle to use 'on the hoof', apart from the obvious lack of OIS and AF . . . .

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I have very limited experience of this lens on my mum's GF1. The above comment sums it up quite well I think. If the OIS and extra reach isn't essential, I have heard that the Oly m.Zuiko 40-150 is optically marginally better, and much smaller too of course.

3. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

More than happy with the 45-200 on my GF1, good value for money IMHO!

Toodle pip! Andrew

4. Staropramen

Sadly there is (still) a pretty poor choice of true M43 lenses, so it's more-or-less 'take it or leave it' with regard to the 45-200mm. OIS is a real benefit for my work, but I rarely need a lens that long.

For me the ideal range would be the old 3:1 ratio, 70-210mm (F) class of lens, which was very popular and quite practical. So I am less than impressed with the M43 zooms and the general lack of overlapping ranges. 14-52mm and 35-105mm seem more logical to me.

OK - I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm seriously considering a G2/G3 at the moment (if the rumors are correct and the G3 is to be announced imminently).

With my Nikkors and Pentax lenses I would have 28mm to 400mm covered, but from 84-400 only with manual focus, hence I have also been umming and ahhing about whether I should just go for the 45-200 or not with the kit. Part of me says to hold out for the 100-300 which would likely get less use but be of more use, if you know what I mean - not so much an everyday lens but a great option for wildlife and abstract landscapes. Getting back to the point... If Panasonic could plug the gap with a 35-100 f2.8 or even f3.5 the Lumix system would be a much better proposition.

6. Staropramen

Zou, Cameraworld have a few 45-200mm left at £219.99 (Chelmsford only) - that's a very attractive price.

7. JohnATR

JohnATR Member

I have the lens as it came with my camera along with the standard 14-42, I have tried it and it seems good but I would really need to try it in a situation that required it as within the city the 14-42 is sufficient. But its nice having it there in the camera bag for when it might be used. Got the twin lens kit for only £75 more than the standard kit so I think it was worth it :D

some pics on my flickr page are done with the 45-200 when I was trying it out, but rarely at 200mm. Need to go to some air-shows, bird watching or covert spying to try it on full length :p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnstoddard/

8. Staropramen

First impressions.

Well made, and complete with decent hood and case. Quite heavy, but handles well on the G1. AF is quite fast and nothing to complain about.

Vignetting - illumination fall-off - is very pronounced at focal lengths over c100mm and the wider apertures (f5.6 to f8) and which is still evident in blue sky shots at f11 @ 200mm. Vignetting is less noticeable in the shorter range at f5.6 onwards, but a trace remains.

Sharpness appears fine for most (of my) purposes, and is good across the frame: shallow depth of field hides much corner softness. As with almost all Lumix images (going back to earlier models) a small amount of sharpening during processing is usually required, though with this lens this still leaves a little softness of fine detail in the image. Contrast is consistently good throughout the focal range.

I haven't looked at distortions yet.

Overall it seems a thoroughly decent lens which appears to have no significant bad habits, and 'out of the camera' images are good, though they do need little extra work to deliver best results.