1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paddington Station (2 images)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by singingsnapper, Jan 19, 2012.

1. singingsnapper

singingsnapper Well-Known Member

I had a trip into London yesterday and after having a coffee at Paddington station, I decided to take a few photos down an empty platform. There were no trains on platforms 1 or 2 and it wasn't too busy. I initially tried without my tripod but shooting speeds were way too low, so I set up my tripod in a discrete spot away from the edge of the platform. After I had taken 3 shots I was approached by a member of Network Rail staff and told quite rudely: "You can't do that here!" I told him that Network Rail's own rules allowed non commercial photographs provided tripods weren't close to the platform edge and provided no flash is used. The guidelines also say that photos should be taken out of peak hours i.e after 1030am. As you will see in the photos, it was approaching midday. I got nowhere with the jobsworth and left the station, but I tweeted, mentioning network rail's twitter address and they apologised and said they would take it up with the station staff. Anyway here are the photos

Pentax 645D FA 33 - 55 @ 33mm, f/16 0.5 secs

[​IMG]
    paddington1 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

in black and white converted in Silver efex pro2

[​IMG]
    Paddington bw by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Re: Paddington Station

Well done for getting some shots and not getting arrested!

Think those nice red buffers might make a stronger shot from straight behind.

3. singingsnapper

Re: Paddington Station

I took exception to his rudeness and to the fact that he didn't know his own companies' photography policy. At first Network Rail suggested that I should have asked permission first, then when I replied to them saying that there was no queue of people asking for permission yet other people were taking photos with obviously smaller cameras, they replied giving the full policy for photography which doesn't require you to ask for consent. I don't mind being asked if it's non commercial or not but I do object to being told I can't do something that I am allowed to do. Especially as he was so rude about it. Yes I have a big camera but the policy is about the use and distribution not the type of camera. Anyway, of my soapbox now!

I would have shot directly behind but there is a large metal cupboard which I was right by but wouldn't have been able to shoot behind. That and that I quite liked the way this angle has the lines moving and that I can get the two trains and the clock in the shot also.

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Mod note - image is over forum limit

Your colour image is well over the forum limit of 200Kb. Please take the time to read the How to Post Images sticky at the top of the forum and the Flickr tutorial that shows you how to check file sizes before posting. Thanks, Chris (mod)

If you are having trouble with checking file sizes and compression. Please contact me
    :)

5. singingsnapper

Re: Mod note - image is over forum limit

Not meaning to be arsey, but is there any point in having an appraisal forum if you are asking members to further degrade images that are already degraded by Flickr by removing more detail?

Other fora have a 1024 limit. I Understand that you are trying to accomodate those that view from a mobile phone but I wouldn't judge people's photos from a mobile phone as you'll never get a good view of the colours. I'd never give someone criticism from a image the size of a walnut.

6. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Others manage quite well with image sizes of 800 x 600 and around 100Kb file sizes that show excellent detail. There is no excuse. We are not accommodating just mobile phones but mobile broadband as well that has download limits.

Take a look at the standard of images in the Competition thread - no problems there.

Anyway, we welcome all members, but understand if you do not wish to be restricted by our limits.

Best regards

7. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

You can't get rid of it completely, but I prefer it with the perspective distortion tamed a bit:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Thanks for this- I work just round the corner from Paddington Station and I often walk through it from the tube on my way into the office and I've often wondered about taking some shots (I especially want to try and get the other side where they are cleaning the arches- they're quite stunning) so now I know what I can and can't do in there

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

You can always post an additional link to a larger version hosted eleswhere. This is quite common and a several recent posts feature additional links allowing access to larger versions.

10. hil26

hil26 Well-Known Member

I like the composition in the image and prefer the mono version.

11. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

I like the mono version more too. I like the colours in the other one, but it seems to me that all the bold ones are on the bottom-right diagonal half and all the nice golden glow and muted ones are on the top-left diagonal half - the mono version rebalances, I think.