1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OX app

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Dorset_Mike, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

How does one get rid of OX app, I have never requested it nor knowingly installed it, yet when I try to access my Virgin Email account pages to check some older emails I get this OX app sign on page and obviously having never seen nor heard of it I have no sign on details to enter so it just reverts back to sign on.

2. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

3. Dorset_Mike

Tried that, no joy, OX app does not appear to be installed on my PC, so there's nowt to erase.
    I'm using Firefox on Win 7 pro 64 bit.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

May I ask why you access your email via web browser? Surely you can access your mail through the Windows mail programme and avoid this problem altogether. I know there are functions that require log-on via a browser so it may be that this is what you are trying to do.

5. Dorset_Mike

I don't access via Firefox, I go direct to ntlworld.com which is part of Virgin, I've been using it for over 15 years, I was originally with AOL which used NTLs cable, NTL got bought by Virgin who kept the ntlworld.com addresses.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Have you tried accessing your email account through Firefox?

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Have you tried using the Windows mail application? It may not be permitted but it might work around the problem until Virgin fix it.

8. Dorset_Mike

Same result, @**! OX app; I've never used Windows mail, don't know if Win 7 even had an email app. It's not email that's giving me the problem ~I can send and receive no problems, I just need to view some older email from February for which one has to go through Virgin home page, from what I can make out OX is used by Virgin for some email functions.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have email going back to 2017 on my computer, possibly beyond that on the iMac, I use the web access very rarely to set up rules and blocking. That said I don't use my ISP's email account.

10. Dorset_Mike

I have archivedemails backto Feb 2017 on the PC, I don't archive every email mostly invoices and other payments, any I delete from the PC could be accessed on the Virgin site, but at the moment this OX app is blocking access to that .

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Of course the ones you want aren’t on the computer, it’s always like that. Sorry but I am out of ideas.

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The second to last post on that page says,

The issue is caused by a corrupt cookie and/or cache. Google for how to clear your browser cache and cookies. That always solves it

So depending on which browser you're using to access the mail service, you need to remove the cookies for the mail service, this will mean you have to logon / authenticate again, so it's imperative you know your account name & password.

One way to test this is the case is to launch a 'private' window from your browser (which neither saves nor uses existing cookies), and if that works, it's a cookie issue. How you open a private browser window varies by browser.

Here's a site which explains how on the most popular browsers - https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ognito-in-chrome-firefox-safari-and-edge.html

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Good idea to check as that seems the best way forward. I took #3 to mean he’d tried deleting all cookies. I spent some time looking. Found some mentions that Virgin used Open Exchange as a platform and some others that they’d switched to a gmail platform. Certainly sounds a service side problem linked to sign in.

It makes me wonder at what point I should take old emails off the server(s). Experience long term has been that mail archive files are prone to getting corrupt or being obsoleted. When I was working and we had server side email limits I made a lot of use of MS Exchange .pst files only to find they became inaccessible. I suspect they were encrypted with a hardware based key so that a change of computer rendered them unable to be opened.

14. Dorset_Mike

Did that early on in my attempts, the OX app tells me it can't work due to no cookies, but gives me no alternative way to get at the info I want, I also tried Private browsing (Ctrl+Shift+P) still the same problem, it just refuses to accept my password and gives me no option to change it, as it appears tpo be a "front end" for Virgin one would think the normal Virgin mail password would work.
    I'm awaiting a reply from Virgin, should get one "within 48 hours". I spent considersable time on the Virgin forum's help section, they just trotted out the same "cures" as given here plus a few others, none have worked so far.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

When I moved away from AOL I decided that I wanted an email address that wasn’t linked to my service provider. My ISP is BT but I have Hotmail, Lycos and iCloud addresses. So far that seems to work for me. The problem with ISP email addresses is that if you change ISP you lose your email address.

16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Indeed. I have several email addresses but one is with our ISP from 1987. They’ve been taken over but are still locally based. You can walk into the office if there is a problem. Sadly they no longer send Christmas cards or monthly newsletter relating Colin’s exploits in the server room.

17. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

The message from OX app sounds as if you may have accidentally blocked all cookies for the site (ntlworld) rather than just deleting any cookies that were present.
    If the problem was caused by a corrupt cookie then you need to ensure that cookies are still allowed for the site so new cookies can be created to replaced the deleted ones.

EightBitTony likes this.