1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outstanding new Fuji compacts S9000 and S52000!!!

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by FujiSigmaNolta, Jul 28, 2005.

1. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Re: So what?

Hi there Huw!

Yes, fascizoid is a word that is used loosely and it means (among other things) as I said before someone with a very strict and exacerbated attitude towards others opinions.
    On the note of the shutter speed, yes, some people do feel the need for high shutter speeds others don't. I have felt the need for it, for freezing water droplets and breaking egg shells and capture insects taking flight. The faster shutter speed is always useful for these situations and its good to know it's there. A higher shutter speed in a camera in due time always proves more useful. But to every dog its bone.

The same thing can also be said of IS or AS.

On the note of the Fuji cameras ratings, my perception ,when I read most of the reviews, is that the reviews are targeted to the regular consumer who virtually wants a point and shoot, and helping them make a choice. When it comes to enthusiasts and professionals, a lot of the reviews become senseless after using the product. But the Fuji's have had very good ratings (as an example the S5500,F10) even if they haven't always shone through. But in the end results speak for themselves and this is the result of the SuperCCD.

On the note of the word fascizoid....
    If any offence at all has been caused by me using the term fascizoid, I apologise, as it seems that it's not a term everybody is familiar with and its a loose term, not necessarily pertaining to one's ideology(ies). It may be used to describe an attitude of someone very strict and exacerbated towards others opinions.

Regards,

Provia_fan

2. FujiSigmaNolta

:D :D :D :D

Along with size, speed matters!!! :D :D :D

Regards,

Provia_fan

3. FujiSigmaNolta

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Confused

This has confused me somewhat.

From what I understand the Fuji interpolates from 3.1MP up to 6mp by adding extra pixels.

You say this is fuzzy, but you use it and then reduce it by 50% ?

Why not take the photo in 3.1MP in the first place then you wouldn't have to reduce the final image?

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Confused

Fen, it's because of the nature of the Super CCD technology that Fuji use. Some say that this approach leads to better results than using the native resolution. Personally, I have been highly sceptical of Fuji's earlier Super CCD results, but I think that their most recent efforts have been extremely interesting, addressing the issues of dynamic range for dSLRs (S3) and noise in digicams (F10) - the two real Achilles' heels of digital. I watch their future developments with great interest - but not unblinkered hero worship. ;)

6. FujiSigmaNolta

Unblinkered hero worship is much more of a Canon and Nikon user thing as a quick glance on the forum and any photography forum for that matter will show, but since Fuji was the one that came out with the SuperCCD and are the ones addressing successfully the main problems of digital photography, then yes they are heros. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Plus design wise with the S-series camera, I don't think there's any other compact that feels so natural to hold.Your hand simply falls naturally on the grip and fingers to their appropriate positions (index on shutter and thumb on zoom buttons and next to shutter/aperture controls). You can handle the camera with one hand very easily...and my hands are on the large side. The weight of the S-series camera is quite well distributed too, it never feels as if you can drop it.

Regards,

Provia_fan

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

You can't really say that.

For you this might be true, but people have different shaped/sized hands.

Personally I find the Minolta F300 is the perfect compact for me.

A friend of mine who has small hands prefers the Nikon 3200.

Having worked in photographic retail and trying lots of different models I can safely say that I hate the feel/look/design of Sony, Kodak and Fuji cameras.

It's all down to personal preference.

8. FujiSigmaNolta

It's not only true for me but its also true for most (both people with large and small hands, hence the remark about my largish hands) and for him too:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5100/page2.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000/page3.asp

If you read the post or the quotations I said "I don't think there is..." meaning that was a personal statment and I added that most people feel that way as most people who have handled my camera and other Fuji S-series have always mentioned it feels very comfortable and a friend of mine actually said it feels better than his Minolta Dimage A200.

The Minolta F300 has a tottaly different design (its not a prosumer and its not designed to be used like the Fuji and similar class cameras) and without a really substantial grip and with its smooth finish it's easier to drop. If you were to compare with the Minolta Axxx series then that would be a better comparison as the A200 is actually quite nice in your hand but it lacks what the S20 and S7000 have in the grip which is deeper groove for even more support. Hence, these last two cameras in your hand feel safer.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_...00&show=all

I have to say I do like the design of the Minoltas, but when the buying time came the Fuji won me over for features and handling.

The Minolta DSLRs though are quite another story and these in what concerns mid range DSLRs, they have it in design and handling as well as features in my opinion.

Regards,

Provia_fan

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Just to be contraversial,

I seriously doubt that any digital compact is "Outstanding"!

Outstanding for a compact may be but overall, no, I don't think so. A Leica can be outstanding, a Nikon or Canon pro camera probably but not a digital compact.

Really outstanding would be medium format or large format but digital compacts always suffer from small sensors and general minaturisation.

Remember, before you get the bazooka out that I am just stiring this hornets nest, I am sure that these cameras are good, but probably not outstanding.

10. robertj

robertj Well-Known Member

Re: Outstanding new Fuji compacts S9000 and S52000?? Why say that yet?

Why don't you get Fuji FinePix S3 Pro?

11. FujiSigmaNolta

Hi there!

No, I am not gonna get any bazookas out as I agree with you. These cameras are outstanding as compacts and that was the point. I personally think they are outstanding as digital compacts. Obviously there is no competition against an SLR and even less against medium format and even lesser against large format.
    But as digital compacts they do excellent work and I have had my Fuji bringing home some bacon.

Regards,

Provia_fan

12. FujiSigmaNolta

Re: Outstanding new Fuji compacts S9000 and S52000?? Why say that yet?

It is a good camera but speed issues would turn me to the S2 instead. The price as it stands at the moment is prohibitive along with the price of Nikon lenses.
    That's why I am looking at other options and in DSLRs there are many good and affordable options. The Minolta 7D is one, the Pentax Ist D and the Sigma SD10.
    I am actually going to purchase two budget DSLRs soon to have a strong and flexible kit.

Regards,

Provia_fan

13. hugh

hugh New Member

Argos is selling the s9500 camera at #499.99. I find the ommision of flash synchro terminal a dissapointment since I use studio flash and TTL Nikon hot shoe would not have added much to the cost. This would have been an excellent addition to S2pro or S3pro user who use nikon flash

14. FujiSigmaNolta

Hi there!

The S9000/9500 does have Flash sync socket.
    Flash synchro speed though, remained undisclosed.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072803fuji_s9000zs9500z.asp

Regards,

Provia_fan

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's certainly listed in the spec on the Fujifilm site - but I can't actually see it on any of the pictures. Any idea where it is?

16. FujiSigmaNolta

Yes, on the bottom right, next to the lens. The little plastic circle is the cover for the sync terminal.

Regards,

Provia_fan

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's it? OK, thanks - I wondered what that was, but it didn't look like a removable cover.