1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outstanding new Fuji compacts S9000 and S52000!!!

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by FujiSigmaNolta, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: So what?

Yes, and there was photography with wet plates too, but it also isn't as good as more modern alternatives.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Who knows? Who (except for you!) has rated these new cameras yet?

3. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

So what you are gonna rate a camera poorly because it doesn't have IS? How many cameras do? Are we forgeting that we are talking of an f2.8 300mm optic in a compact camera?

Are you also gonna say because Henri Cartier-Bresson didn't have IS (and other photo-tech for that matter), in his era his photography is not as good as with modern alternatives? :eek::D

Regards,

Provia_fan

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you had ever used IS, you would know what a boon it was in some circumstances. Most other things being equal, I would prefer a slightly poorer camera/lens with IS to a better one without for tele work - you'll get better results with the IS if you hand-hold. So yes, I personally WOULD rate a camera worse without IS - at least a long-zoom compact, where handholding is the norm.

I think HCB's photography is grossly overrated, FWIW.

5. FujiSigmaNolta

IS became so much of an issue, that nobody seems to look that this camera offers a fast 28mm-300mm Fujinon lens, ISO80-1600, shutter speeds of 1/4000th, Flash sync, tilting screen. Also it seems that there is an Anti-blur option (not very specific as yet to what it means) and 9MP. Still this is not enough!!! You can keep your IS for all I care!!!:-D

Regards,

Provia_fan

6. FujiSigmaNolta

It maybe that IS is a boon, but it will only show how good a photographer one is without it.
    And on the note of Bresson's photograhy, I used Bresson as an example. I spoke of Bresson as an example but speaking of him I was encompassing other all time greats...without IS or AS!!! :D :D :D

Regards,

Provia_fan

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I think your ridiculously over-the-top hyping of cameras nobody has yet seen is actually the issue, but never mind....the thing is that these probably are very good cameras, but as yet, we don't know. The fast lens is great if it maintains Fuji's excellent reputation for lenses, but if not, it's worse than having a more restricted lens. We don't yet know. 1/4000th? So what? I've had that sort of speed (and faster) on cameras for over a decade, and I don't think I've ever used it - and I know I'm not alone. ISO 80-1600 - if it builds on Fuji's recent work, yes, that's great in a digicam. If not, it's not - we just don't know how it performs yet. Flash synch - er, your point is? Tilting screen - very nice, but not a killer. Anti-blur - well, could be interesting, we don't know yet. 9MP? That's actually the bit that worries me the most - have they done it without appalling noise problems? We'll have to wait and see. Yes, they're potentially interesting, and Fuji appears to be making some good progress - but until we see the results, there's just a pile of specs that in themselves mean very little. Oh, and try IS - it really does make a difference!

8. FujiSigmaNolta

I thought AP and other camera magazines had already rated the Fuji cameras such as the F-series and the S-series. As far as I and everybody else knows the Fuji cameras have been around for some time. :eek:
    If you are gonna use pre-existing Minoltas and the like as an example you should have known that the Fujis have been around for some time too. I was not specifically speaking of these new cameras, I was speaking of the existing Fujis.
    And yes, they are generally rated higher than the Minoltas and the Panasonic by both the mags and the general public.

Regards,

Provia_fan

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And how many times in his life did HCB use a 300mm lens? Probably about as many times as I've used 1/4000th of a second.....
    I guess if IS had been available, he might have considered it.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, you weren't - if you check in threaded mode, you will see that the IS comment referred to the new cameras, and neither you nor anybody else had developed this particular part of the thread into any other direction than them against the competition.

11. FujiSigmaNolta

Hyping? That was an enthuastic/enthusiasts reaction for sure but one with a reason. I was sharing my enthusiasm with other Fuji enthusiasts. Fuji has been producing fine photographic products and that's a fact. My enthusiast's reaction seemed to spur fascizoid type of reactions in others unfortunately.

My current Fuji has a brilliant sensor, and this camera builds up on its success. It also has a 1/10000th high shutter speed (have you had that for over a decade too?)which unfortunately it was reduced and the flash sync on the Fujis is 1/1000th (are you gonna say so what? and you had one of those for a decade too? :D :D).

The point remains is that Fuji is bringing a feature rich product to the public with an accessible price. The features in the camera would make any other camera way overpriced (and actually, after having spoken to a Fuji rep over the phone about the pricing and other stuff, the impression I have got, more wasn't included so the price wouldn't be driven up and this may be the reason why the 1/10000th shutter was reduced and perhaps IS replaced with an Anti-Blur option).

Fuji has always learned from its experiences and listens to its users and this camera shows it in 90% of it I would say.

But I am still wondering how can you say that its all a pile of features that in themselves mean too little (as they are essential features in some aspects) and IS seems to mean the world to you? Does IS mean that overall an image or its quality will be superior?

Regards,

Provia_fan

12. FujiSigmaNolta

If you really want to look at the previous threads, and I stress "want" you will see I mention a good number of times "Fujis have always been rated higher". Meaning with or without IS Fuji cameras have always been rated higher. Simple.

If can pick up on existing models to make a comparison why shouldn't I? Why can't I?

Just admit you didn't understand what I said. Its good forum practice. The same way I want people here to expect the same from me.

Regards,

Provia_fan

13. FujiSigmaNolta

Hey HCB maybe not (nor JVC or JCB for that matter :D :D :D). But others have and did not have IS nor AS and they have survived to tell the tale and sold pictures too. :D

Regards,

Provia_fan

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Er, WHICH other Fuji enthusiasts? ;)

Agreed.

I'll thank you not to use that type of language. Had you used it against others rather than me, I would have deleted this thread.

How do you KNOW that? I hope you're right, but for now, we don't know.

No, just 1/8000th, but as that's utterly pointless, don't expect me to get excited about an even faster speed!

Much more useful, and yes, I've had that for about a decade.

OK, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the list of ingredients!

It doesn't, but IMVHO it's essential for a camera such as this.

Er, YES, that's the point! Especially at 300mm - it's very hard indeed to hold a lens steady at that degree of magnification.

Regards to you, too!

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Don't be cheeky as well as wrong ;) - I HAVE read all the posts, and I suppose that's how you got confused - BUT the particular thread within a thread that we are referring to only relates to David's original comment about your original posting, and so remains a comaprison of the new cameras against their competition. In case you're not aware, I'm never wrong - that's why they call me Inflatable... :rolleyes:

16. FujiSigmaNolta

I don't know why a post should be deleted for having te word fascizoid in it. There's nothing wrong with the word as it means in this context an exacerbated attitude of non acceptance of anothers stance.
    Are you on a show of power here?

On the note of the Fuji sensor(s) hey, its only me and a good number of rock photographers who used them in extreme conditions. The only camera from Fuji that may have been a step back is the S3 as the S2 compares with others best. And this has little to do with the sensor, more to do with speed of the camera among other minor things. The sensors always held their own very well and Fuji's history is of going up and learning from experience and from its users.

On the note of the flash sync, you have had for a decade, but others haven't and this is now available to an even greater number of people thanks to Fuji's efforts. And you can try and number the cameras on the class of the Fuji's that have that feature. And what's more 1/10000th is always more useful than 1/8000th.

On the note of IS, from what I understand from your post IS has more of an effect on the image quality than sensor and lens? Are you sure?

Don't get me wrong I think IS is a great feature but the Fuji camera or if I was to go for any other camera, I would go for a camera with a more useful set of features and number of features including a good sensor than the simple fact that it has IS/AS. I have lived without it most of us have and it didn't make me refrain from telephoto night photography.

Those who have eaten Fuji's pudding will want more as they have never been disappointed.

PS: You really didn't get or don't want to get what I wrote in the previous posts about Fuji cameras ratings. You can put on a show of power if you want but I know what I have written and what I have meant.

Regards,

Provia_fan

17. FujiSigmaNolta

It's nothing to do with cheekyness. It's a forum it's about an opinion and it's about making myself clear to someone who didn't get what I meant (supposedly). I haven't caused offence, I am simply standing by my opinion, which after all it is a forum, so we debate. I haven't got confused at all. Furthermore, as a moderator you should know better than taking a side.

If being cheeky here is the same as standing by your word, then I am not in a forum and the fascizoid tag is appropriate.

I hope you will let me in, in the next new Canon or new Nikon banter for some bashing when the enthusiast starts to go on about the new Canon or the new Nikon. Like when Canon upgraded the 300D to the 350D.

Regards,

Provia_fan

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Is it a word? It's not one I've ever come across before, and I can't find it in my dictionaries. But on the assumption, going by the stem, that it means something related to fascism, then it wouldn't be the first time a thread has been moderated on these boards for the use of such language. If it was used on one of the boards I moderate I'd certainly be warning the offender about their conduct.

But back to photographic stuff...

It is? I'm intrigued! Why? And how come in more than three decades in this game I've never felt the lack of such an invaluable facility?

Well, I've owned three Fuji digital cameras, as well as one LF lens. The latter I can't fault, but the digicams have all has their fair share of niggles. They were good enough (or obviously I wouldn't have kept going back for more), but I wouldn't have rated any of them as significantly above average in their class. I do admit to liking the overall performance of the SuperCCDs, though.

And for the record, in every comparison test I've seen where there was a Fuji up against similar cameras from other major manufacturers, the Fujis haven't exactly shone.

19. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

[/QUOTE]

Me too. I can only recall one occasion when I needed a speed above 1/2000th (and even that high would be a rarity). That was on a sunny day, when I wanted to use a lens wide open, and had to set the top 1/8000th on my F5 to get close. Of the cameras I'm now using, only one (the Nikon F2A) has a speed above 1/1000th. It would be foolish to imply from that, that no one needs high shutter speeds, but for run-of-the-mill work I think its more a sales gimmick than anything.

20. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Sales gimmick...rubbish! Its for idle boasting...and by the way, mine is faster than yours. :D