1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outstanding new Fuji compacts S9000 and S52000!!!

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by FujiSigmaNolta, Jul 28, 2005.

1. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

How many months / weeks (?) before these brand-spanking new wunderkinds become like yesterday's discarded fish & chip paper. Average commercial lifespan of a new digital is down to 5 months, if the manager at MXV (quoted in BJP article on used gear) is to be believed. :(

3. FujiSigmaNolta

As much yesterday as my 1/10000th, 4.5fps up to 10 frames shutter speed Fuji S20pro.

Try to get those specs in a modern camera and see how much you spend. Fuji's tend to have longer lifespans. I believe this is a quite durable camera that will serve its user very well for a long time as can go wide to telephoto, you got 9MP, AF assist lamp and and ISO80-1600. All these are improvements on the already durable S20pro and S7000z. Lets do the maths on this one.

Regards,

Provia_fan

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Outstanding new Fuji compacts S9000 and S52000?? Why say that yet?

Maths? Who cares about the maths? Let's see what the pictures are like, then we'll see if these cameras are any good or not. In the meantime, I can't quite see the point of the hyperbole.

5. FujiSigmaNolta

You obviously haven't used a camera with the Super CCD SR or HR to understand the excitement. This camera builds on the success and quality of the sensor and provides even more extended ISO range. The Fuji S20 and S7000 were great performers at their native 160-1600 and are good performers on the high end, now you have the same sensor with 64-1600 and 80-1600, plus on the S9000 something everybody had requested which was a longer zoom with proper zoom and focus rings around it. Their predecessors were already of great success. They simply took a good product and made it even better. Have you ever seen the S5500 at ISO64? or the S20 or S7000 at ISO160-200?

Hyperbole!? Get your hands on a Fuji and you will see.

Regards,

Provia_fan

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You don't work for Fuji, by any chance?

7. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Of course Nick :D

Full size colour samples from Japan...

Chris [​IMG] ...always at your service...

8. FujiSigmaNolta

No I don't.But today I wish I did! :DDiscount S9000 perhaps? :D

9. FujiSigmaNolta

Anyway, my S20pro will never leave my kit. It gives me a high shutter speed combined with an ISO200-1600 sensor and flash sync up to 1/1000th and I have used flash successfuly(or more appropriately I have exposed nicely) at speeds up to 1/10000th.

The only thing I really wished to have on the S20pro which the S9000 has is the AF assist lamp.

Regards,

Provia_fan

10. Blad_the_paler

Blad_the_paler Well-Known Member

9mp divided by 300dpi doesn't leave much of a print does it...? I'd rather scan a medium format neg and get a decent print anyday. :D

11. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Most people print around the 200 dpi mark and if a photo is to be hung on a wall, is quite adequate for 99.9% of the population, which is who Fuji are aiming this particular camera at…

So, at 218 dpi, one could get a very respectable 16”x 12” print.

Chris [​IMG] ...we’ll leave the 300 dpi for the other .1%…

12. FujiSigmaNolta

Hi there!

As I mentioned numerous times :DI use an S20pro. The S20pro is a 3.1mp camera that interpolates to 6MP. At 6MP the result is quite fuzy and I reduce the photos to 50%. I take them at 6MP and to capture all the detail and then reduce them in size. From this reduction at, 300dpi from the camera I have I get good and sellable prints at 16"x12" (one of which actually sold at £300). In any case most of the ones I have are resized at 600dpi to 1200dpi. Printed on my Epson they look chemical and quite film like.
    Basically if you optimise the prints for print and not screen display, the S20pro gives amazing results with its 6MP interpolated, and there isn't anybody that used the S20pro or the S7000 for that matter that is going to tell you differently unless they don't know how to use it.

More frequently than not now because I miss film and every now and then I go back to it, I shoot RAW. The results from the SR sensor of the S20pro in RAW are amazing. So how much more will be a Fuji with the 5th generation sensor of the same kind and full non interpolated 9MP.

Regards,

Provia_fan

13. FujiSigmaNolta

On this note, there are lots of photographers who have used the Sigma SD10 who say it rivals their medium format scans. And this is a 3.4MP x3 camera. I can't say that myself but I have seen pictures of the SD10 and done the comparison with some med format photos myself and it is quite a close call. Photos taken with this 3.4MP sensor at ISO100 are very very good. And believe me I am a film fan and I still believe that film has got the edge but things with digital are getting to the point where it is a very close call and in some cases the results are just as good or superior and as a film user and enthusiast I have to admit that.

But not if you use Fuji slide well though :D :D :D

Regards,

Provia_fan

14. FujiSigmaNolta

Price of the S9000 .....

By the way, I phoned up Fuji and it seems that the initial price of the S9000 will be at around £549.99, that was according to the rep I spoke to.

15. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

So what?

No IS when most of its rivals have it.....

Besides, specs are meaningless. It's the photographer behind the camera that makes the picture.

16. FujiSigmaNolta

Re: So what?

Sure, but don't be cynical. I am pretty sure if you could have right now your Canon or Nikon or whatever camera you use with improved specs you wouldn't be reaching for the chequebook.

But how can you say that specs are meaningless while pointing out the camera has no IS as such a negative point against it. IS is not such a vital feature to have anyway.
    What competition are you talking about anyway?DSLRs?

Regards,

Provia_fan

17. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Digicams from Konica-Minolta and Panasonic spring to mind.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, an IS virgin!

19. FujiSigmaNolta

Yes, they do spring to mind but they haven't been rated as high as the Fuji cameras have they?

Regards,

Provia_fan

20. FujiSigmaNolta

So what about IS? Hasn't there been photography done before IS and AS systems? And yes, photography with low light and at the telephoto end.

Regards,

Provia_fan