1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Our Own Interesting Old Images

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by MickLL, Jul 12, 2019.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

This is definitely one of the best threads.

Looking at people from way back makes me wonder what did they do with their lives, did they even survive, were they happy with their lot, were they pleasant to know?

It is absolutely fascinating.

S

saxacat, RovingMike and Fishboy like this.
  2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'll second that!

Cheers, Jeff

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

From what I know of their times and my own background, I think they rejoiced in smaller things, like being able to afford a day trip, rather than luxury holiday. A day out for us on a coach was a real event. We never had a "holiday" as such. But we, and I believe they before, were not consumed with envy, or misplaced concepts of "entitlement". We / they hoped for the best, prepared for the worst, were very content with anything in between, but restlessly looking to improve our lot where we could.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Ah, terminology! It's lovely, anyway, must post mine!

Adrian

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Ward's now a defunct estate agents, next door to a tandoori I see.

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

This is my Aunt. The dog is Ralph. Some years later the dog mauled my Aunt's (the one on the picture) daughter and was put down.
    My cousin ( bout 5 years older than me) would never go swimming with me and I failed to understand why until she showed me her legs - terribly scarred.

[​IMG]

MickLL

daft_biker, Catriona and RovingMike like this.
  7. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

The Ford Dealership owned by my wife's great grandfather in May 1934.
    [​IMG]

The same building today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    daft_biker, RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Some of my mother's family. Most went to America or Canada.

Great aunts before they all left for the USA and Canada.
    ap duff great aunts agnes mabel mary margaret elsie.jpg

Robert, the black sheep went to Montana. Big split with family. My mother's cousin reckons he was gay, but I've no idea if that was right. Anyway, he went and never came back or contacted the family again, other than allowing this photo to be sent to the family. The person he gave the photos to (Ida Duff) was in France at the time. The address was Villa Massolin, Roquebrune (Cap Martin) France Apparently there was a beautiful modern villa built there by an Eileen Gray from Ireland (The villa E1027 Sentier Massolin) At this time his sister had just married a John Gray across in Montana. Curiouser and curiouser. I've forgotten where Ida fits in the story.
    ap bob robert duff montana.jpg
    I see this was a studio portrait taken in Forsyth Montana (1912) where a few of them ended up still to this day.

Great grandfather Duff.
    ap john duff great grandfather.jpg

Two second cousins. You can see they are in the USA!

ap mary and elsie gray.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    RovingMike likes this.
  9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

My great great great grandmother, possibly with my great great granny, but as she was employed as a nurse to someone's children, this could be one of the Grimond family instead.

upload_2019-7-15_23-36-45.png

RovingMike, saxacat and Catriona like this.
  10. Bipolar

My father in 1954 he was 20 years old.
    [​IMG]

RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Norton?

S

12. Bipolar

It was a 750 Norton. I wonder what ever happened to it.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  13. contax wide boy

contax wide boy Active Member

This was one of my first pictures taken with my new Contax 137MA in the early 80's. I was sitting opposite my brother and nephew in
    the garden, when I heard the unmistakable rumble of Concorde approaching. Knowing that neither liked having their picture taken
    I started a conversation and clicked the aperture wide open whilst the camera rested on my stomach. As Concorde flew over I waited
    for my nephew to look up and shot from my stomach. Zap - Gotcha in one !
    It was a bit trendy back then to tint B/W images in sepia which I requested the processor to do. When the picture came back I popped
    into my local camera store to buy some colour dye, but they only kept blue, red and yellow in stock, so I made do with them.
    This hand tinting lark isn't as easy as it sounds, especially when having to mix the dyes ( that's my story and I'm sticking to it ).
    Anyhow, it's a memorable shot for me, simply because the shot went 100% according to plan - that doesn't happen very often.
    The picture looks very soft because I dumped my negatives and it's a cheap scan of the photo.

[​IMG]

Catriona, RovingMike and dream_police like this.