1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by medavidcook, Oct 20, 2016.

?

Os

1. Windows

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. iOS

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. medavidcook

medavidcook Well-Known Member

Hey. What OS do people use when editing the pictures.

I currently got a mac but considering getting a Windows as I seem to play games as well as photography and Mac ain't really a gaming pc

Let me know your thought

2. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

My daughter uses Macs, they are very nice bits of kit, but just too expensive. I also like the ability to put my own hardware together which I don't think is possible with Macs. However, beware Windows 10, I have just spent the last 6 weeks in dispute with my ISP about internet speeds, which involved 3 visits from engineers, after much investigation the problem seems to be Windows 10 :mad:

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Linux Ubuntu.

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Not Klaatu Barada Nikto?

Cheers, Jeff

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

What do we want to shut down?

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I edit with Lightroom which is available on both Windows and Mac.

I don't see what the operating system particularly has to do with running programs other than if software is written specifically for one platform over another. These days the hardware is pretty much the same. But I think some programs are optimised for windows and it is easy to stick windows on a home built machine. I am not sure you can do that with OS-X.

I like the mac operating system because launch terminal and you have a fully functional Unix box plus it comes with Xcode a very good and free development environment with bundled C compiler and version control. You'd pay hundreds for whatever has replaced Deveoper studio and sourcesafe on Windows and since OS-2 no real effort has been made to provide even the most basic working environment unless you run a unix toolbox like MKS. or cygwin - not that I have touched those for years.

But most people don't have use for a computer as such - they just run bought applications

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

So, not a poll about maps, then? ;)

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

:)

Linux Kubuntu.

For raw conversion and basic editing I mostly use Corel Aftershot Pro, sometimes UFRaw or RawTherapee, with Gimp for detailed editing. All available for Linux, Mac & Windows.